Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Dublin?

5 adults traveling in Dublin for two days. Two married couples, one single lady. Needing en suite & reasonably priced. Thanks!

Posted by
317 posts

Greetings from Ireland
Your best to look at a site like hotels.com or booking.com etc
There are good options on Airbnb also.
Otherwise you'll spend a ton of valuable time emailing and contacting the hundreds of accommodation options in Dublin.
99% of places will have ensuite rooms, virtually nowhere offers shared bathrooms anymore, thats unheard of these days.
And I hope your hopes aren't too high regarding a 'reasonable price', Dublin is expensive. Nowhere near as bad as Paris or London, but up there with Barcelona and Rome. The market sets the rate Im afraid, and Dublin is booming once more, and filled with visitors.
If you cant find anywhere, drop me a line and i'll be happy to help or advise.
Le meas/with respect
Stephen McPhilemy
Rick Steves Ireland tour-Guide
Dingle & Derry (and writing this from Dublin)

Posted by
51 posts

Having been in and out of Dublin Ireland for 20 years now, my place with a car is the Portmarnock golf links hotel. Without a car - the Grand Hotel in Malahide. The Strand Road is beautiful - Gibneys is a great pub (with Irish music some mornings), Malahide is close to the airport and on the water (totally walk-able village). As I recall there is also a nice swanky (for Dublin) lounge for the more "dressed to the nines" within the village too. The DART get's you into and out of the fury of Dublin Center easily to Malahide and if you miss the DART -they bus works perfectly (as does a taxi but more $$). Oscar Taylors is a cool place for a north Dublin dinner.

Cost - well, I'm here in the US West Coast and I always budget based on vacationing in Walnut Creek (yuk - blech). I have never however run over-budget anywhere. Sydney, Hong Kong, Shenzhen, Beijing, Hamburg, Munich, etc., etc.

Budget is key. I plan on hotels at 200 US a night (w/breakfast) for a double, 25 PP transport, 50 PP food, 25 PP drink - thus daily budget per person 100 [200/2] + 25 + 50 + 25 = 200 per person, per night/day. Couples = 400 per night/day. The single is a little tougher but you can always figure that out / share, extra bed, suite, etc. That's living pretty well. Remember you stocked up on breakfast - have a simple lunch (or a banana and skip lunch) and make room for dinner. Cullinary...well its Ireland..

[EDIT - That's not fair of me - Traditional Irish food is fun, good, hearty - if I had one food to eat it would be sausage rolls]

So that's what I consider the top end (throw stones anyone) of my humble existence. Generally I book the "pay now" and save 35 or 50 Euro a night - when we know we are going to Dublin, and I think that's smart. Now my experience is we can easily come close to halving those costs. Not every night - not in every location, dependent upon time of year - but remember you go on vacation to spend money - not to save it BUT MOST OF ALL have a wonderful experience. SPEND the xtra - stay at nice places, enjoy EVERYTHING.. Just my 0.02c plus staying in City Center is overrated - Malahide is much more comfortable and sedate at night (unless you are 20 - something party animals - then disregard this whole post).

Cheers - have a great trip whatever you choose. Hey why not do some google maps and such!

Posted by
3122 posts

I'll add you may want to consider bar noise at your chosen location. We stayed at Harcourt Hotel, well away from the Temple Bar and Grafton St. areas, but unbeknownst to us there are at least 5 night clubs on the street. Outdoor rowdy noise until 5 AM nightly prevented us from sleeping. Granted, we were there on a Fri & Sat night. A taxi driver told us people fly into Dublin from all over Europe for bachelor/bachelorette weekends (known in British English as stag & hen dos).

Posted by
398 posts

We stayed at Staunton's on the Green and really liked it. It's on the south side of St. Stephen's Green, which means it is in a quiet location, but very close to Grafton St., Trinity College, Temple Bar, and a lot of other things. The included breakfast was very good, the staff were very friendly (of course, that isn't going to be a problem pretty much anywhere in Ireland), and our room was pretty big by European standards. The price was really reasonable too.

We arrived on a red-eye from the US and got to the hotel at 9 a.m. We stopped at the hotel to drop off our bags, but not only did the staff let us check into our room that was already ready, they invited us to enjoy breakfast on the house at the hotel, even though it really wasn't included since we hadn't stayed at the hotel the night before. When we go back to Dublin someday, I definitely intend to stay here again.

Posted by
12 posts

Thank you all. We decided not to spend our last couple of days in Dublin after all. Instead we found a lovely B&B in Bunratty, literally within walking distance of Bunratty Castle. We stayed in the Bunratty Castle Mews B&B. Our hostess, Dolores, is delightful! So friendly and accommodating and gave us a really great rate, accommodating the 5 of us. We all had our own rooms, en suite, and a delicious full Irish breakfast in the morning. There are also scones, cheeses, cold meats, juices........the only way you'll leave hungry is not to eat. So, yes, the decision not to go to Dublin was a great one. We spent the day driving to Dingle and touring the peninsula. Gorgeous!