Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Belfast.

Next May we will be arriving in Dublin mid day and rent a car. We plan to drive to Belfast and spend two nights there. Any recommendations on lodging that will accommodate car parking?

Posted by
7347 posts

We're visiting in 8 weeks, and have been working on our itinerary. We're actually starting in Galway on the west coast, and working our way clockwise around the coast, visiting Northern Ireland before finishing in Dublin. We'll have a rental car, but everything we're read (including Rick Steves' guidebooks) suggests that Belfast is a big-enough, busy-enough city that parking and driving inside the city is not ideal -- especially dealing with driving on the left side of the road.

We haven't booked a place yet, and, of course, haven't actually been there yet, but we were considering Bangor, a few miles east of town, kind-of a commuter community. We'd likely leave the car at a Bangor B&B and visit Belfast via public transport.

Just west of Bangor is Crawfordsburn, where Ireland's oldest (and one of its pricier) hotel is located. So maybe staying just outside of Belfast might work?

Posted by
397 posts

Before we get to Dublin we will have spent a week in Paris and Bayeux. I am certain that we will have had our fill of pricey accommodations. On past stays in Ireland we have enjoyed our stay at B&B's, particularly at Grey Gables in Ennis. We are looking for home comfort and the feeling that only a good B&B can provide.

Posted by
7347 posts

So in Belfast itself, where Rick Steves lists several hotels and one 15-room guesthouse, the Gregory Guesthouse, which he says has parking, he also recommends the best value in Bangor, the 3-room Hargreaves House, www.hargreaveshouse.com, with a Rick Steves discount (enter code HHRS18). Hope you find a place that works for you.

Posted by
238 posts

When we were in Belfast six years ago we stayed at Avenue Guesthouse in the University district and it was quite lovely. There was plenty of street parking available so we were never far from the front door.

Posted by
397 posts

Paul, I have five days in Ireland, starting and ending at the Dublin Airport. Belfast is not my destination, but is a point on a circle trip I want to make to the North, Antrim Coast then back to Dublin. I considered a train to Belfast and then renting a car but the cost to rent in one place and return the car to another place was cost prohibitive. I therefore decided to rent for the five days.

I would much prefer a train ride than driving on what, to my lifetime experience is the "wrong" side of the road. I am an old dog and new tricks are a slow learn. I and my family are used to public transportation in foreign cities and are quite comfortable using it. I plan on finding lodging outside Belfast and taking a bus into the city. If there were reasonable accommodations within Belfast with parking, all the better, but not a necessity. It is this quandary that led me to post the question on the forum, seeking the experience, thoughts and kindness of readers as a guide.

Posted by
8369 posts

Premier Inn Titanic Quarter basic hotel in a fabulous location 5 minutes to walk to Titanic Belfast, 10 minutes to HMS Caroline, 15 minutes walk to central core. Free parking next to hotel. If you are arriving by train, taxi is about 4-5 pounds from train station depending on traffic. Also served by bus, but taxi will be a better bargain for 2 people.

Posted by
6 posts

I would second the recommendation of Avenue House. Good location in the Queen's quarter. If it matters to you, it is an alcohol free place.