Please sign in to post.

Waterford/Wexford

I am following Ricks 21 day car tour in the Ireland book.
I am a little at a loss for the Waterford/Wexford area.
Ending a day, we arrive Waterford for two nights.
The one full day in-between is what I question.
Tour Waterford or tour the Wexford area?
The morning after our second Waterford night, we head for Kisdale.
It is that day that Rick states for Wexford (using the in-betwen day for Waterford).
Would I be better off heading for Kinsdale and seeing things along the way (rather than Wexford)?

Posted by
11156 posts

Are you coming from Dublin and north? Stop at Wexford enroute to Waterford. Kinsale was one of facorite places in Ireland.

Posted by
89 posts

Actually coming from Kilkenny the night before.
Stopping at Jerpoint Abbey, Kells Priory and Rock of Cashel.
Then into Waterford for the night.
The plan was to do Waterford the next day (staying the night again) then Wexford area with night in Kinsale.
That plan though, looks like a long rushed day, thus the inquiry.

Posted by
409 posts

You don't give us much of a hint as to what you like to do. Drive and look out a window, or experience things? Architecture or history? Food or hillwalks? Give us a heads up so we all know what to recommend....

Kilkenny is fantastic. The castle, of course, is nice. Behind the castle in the old stables is an artist colony of sorts - lots and lots of VERY good Irish artists have studios and shops there. Graiguenamanagh or Graignamanagh or Craignamman is also a lovely little spot. There are trails along the river there, so you can have some lovely, but very easy, walks.

Fethard Horse Experience near Kilkenny (but atually in Tipp) is a new museum so not in the RS guidebook, I'd guess. The history of Ireland with the horse, great views of the castle there from the upstairs window!

Susan
Expat living in Waterville