Please sign in to post.

Visiting the Antrim Coast during the Northwest 200 Race, agh!

It just happens that my opportunity to visit Northern Ireland's Antrim Coast (I'll be there May 12 and 13) is when the Portrush area is super-busy with the Northwest 200 Race. I've got a B & B booked in Derry those nights, but can I hope to navigate over and see the key sights of Antrim Coast or any of Portrush during those days?

Posted by
317 posts

Greetings from Ireland. You will still be able to see everything as normal. Though you should check the NW 200 website for road closures as there definitely shall be a few which might impact on your adventures.

I have often taken Rick Steves tours to the north coast during the NW 200 road-race festival and we still managed to get to see everything, but there definitely can be a few headaches if you don't have your timings right and your route planned out well in advance of the time-trials and races.

Hope you enjoy the spectacle!

Le meas/with respect
Stephen McPhilemy
Rick Steves Ireland Tour-Guide
Dingle and Derry

Posted by
2261 posts

It looks like the 13th would be the best day for you, on the 12th the schedule shows racing commencing 5:15 pm and going til 9 pm, after practice runs all day. The following day, the 14th, is racing all day. Even if the race holds no interest for you, there will likely be some good local color on display.

http://www.northwest200.org/2016-schedule/

Posted by
53 posts

So glad to see this post! We were going to leave Dublin on approx. May 7th and not sure whether to go clockwise or anti-clockwise. Now we know we'll do the former and not the latter. Nothing at all against road races but that is not what we are going to Ireland to see. This forum is awesome. Thanks!