Please sign in to post.

Value Added Tax

Can you get a vat refund on hotels and food, or just on items purchased?

Posted by
20072 posts

Nothing consumed in the EU qualifies for VAT refund. And goods purchased must be unused. So buy a set of earrings, put 'em on your ears, and they no longer qualify. Should be in original packaging with the tax documents filled out by the sales clerk.

Posted by
8889 posts

The items must be exported from the EU unused. Hotels and food don't count because they aren't exported, they are consumed in the EU. Neither would, for example, clothes you buy and wear. And you must be a resident of a country outside the EU

It is based on the principle that goods exported are not taxed, only those consumed in the EU. When you leave the EU (not necessarily when you leave Ireland) you need to get customs to stamp your form to certify the goods left the EU unused. You then send this form back to the shop. The shop then does not have to pay tax on the item (as it can prove it was exported), so the shop can then refund the tax you paid the shop.

Posted by
2124 posts

Hi miri, I've been to Europe many times but never bothered with the VAT tax refund. In June I traveled with a friend who has done this many times and said she was most successful getting her money back from Ireland. We filed the forms at the airport in Dublin. Very easy and efficient. It took a few months but they retuned the money on my credit card. Keep the receipts for your souvenirs and allow an extra half hour at the airport.

Posted by
703 posts

Yes its only for items purchased, not hotels or food. We did the refund and it amounted to a whole $1.03. Other years we've traveled, we didn't do it and I won't do it again. Just not worth it, unless you're spending a large amount of money, like for fine jewelry or really expensive crystal. Oh and I did mine online when I returned home, not at the airport. We used a card called Horizon, which we got from our CIE Tour package.

Posted by
8889 posts

I did mine online when I returned home, not at the airport.

Diana, but, when did you get the forms stamped by customs? They have to be stamped by customs to certify the goods left the EU and left unused, otherwise the shop still has to pay VAT.
Or do you mean your claiming of the refund was after you got home.

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks you all for you help and information. I think I'll just lump it this time, since I didn't really buy anything very expensive. Next time, I'll plan ahead.
Had a wonderful time in Ireland!

Posted by
136 posts

I just came back from Ireland yesterday, and the process couldn't have been easier:

• The refund is for items purchased, not hotels or meals.

• When you make a purchase, the retailer will typically ask if you need a receipt for VAT refunds. If they don't ask, say that you need one. They will then print a separate receipt for you that lists the refundable tax amount, and the clerk will sign the slip.

• When you make your first purchase, ask for a receipt envelope if you're not offered one; it shows where to bring your receipts at either Dublin or Shannon airports.

• Before turning them in, you fill out the receipts with your name, address, and credit card number - tax will be refunded by credit card in about 4 weeks. (I don't know how it works if you pay cash, though.)

You never know what you might purchase over the course of your trip, so may as well collect receipts from the beginning. VAT is much higher than U.S. sales tax (well, maybe not Chicago's!).

Posted by
13 posts

Would you please elaborate, and explain what was required at the airport to complete the requirements?

Posted by
136 posts

See my second bullet in my response that's above. You need a special receipt from the retailer that contains blanks that you must fill in. Make sure to get that when you buy something. You only turn in the receipts at the airport. Hope that helps!

Posted by
703 posts

I did mine online when I returned home, not at the airport.

Diana, but, when did you get the forms stamped by customs? They have to be stamped by customs to certify the goods left the EU and left unused, otherwise the shop still has to pay VAT.
Or do you mean your claiming of the refund was after you got home.

Chris, We flew into Dublin then flew from Dublin to Liverpool for the 2nd leg of our trip. I never had anything stamped by customs in Ireland. Maybe it was because it was on the special card we were given that it was different but the stores did their thing when we purchased items then I claimed the refund when we got home.