Please sign in to post.

Two Weeks in September

Hello, I hope I can get a critique of my first draft itinerary, and advice about the last 3 nights. We don’t like to rush. We will be 4 adults, mostly looking for B and B’s.

Fly into Dublin, go straight to Trim 2 nights (1 to acclimate, 1 to enjoy).
Kilkenny 2 nights.
Kinsale 2 nights.
Kenmare 1 night.
Dingle 3 nights.
Doolin 1 night...

??? Connemara in Oughterard as base 3 nights then out from Dubin on the 15th day OR,
blast up from Doolin to Donegal, then out from Belfast? Will the last present a car rental return problem, having rented it in the Republic?
Other ideas from Doolin on would be helpful too.
Very grateful for replies.

Posted by
333 posts

Hi Julia!
Sounds like you're on your way to planning a great trip! A couple of things to keep in mind:
2 nights = 1 full day, 1 night = half a day or less.
Consider your travel time between towns, including slow rural roadways and potential sheep dodging. Consider the time needed to check into B&B's (or whatever), packing, etc. Not such a big deal, but your plan has you doing it every day to every other day. What are you hoping to see/do in each location? Are you giving yourself time to do what you want to do? Your itinerary is possible, its just not a relaxed itinerary.

If you're wanting a non-rushed itinerary, you'll need to possibly reconfigure your days. Right now, you've got a rushed itinerary.

Luckily, you're giving yourself plenty of time to work things out. Planning is part of the fun!
Lisa

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Given 14 nights with a leisurely pace, what would the best 4 villages or towns be as bases to explore, south of Dublin/Doolin line?
Julia

Posted by
409 posts

Julia,

Your RS profile doesn't tell us much about what you like to do, so it's hard to recommend too many specifics. Why recommend a great hillwalk when you prefer art museums!? Tell us a bit about what you want to DO during the travel!

Are you set on staying in Kilkenny city, or do you mean Kilkenny the county? I recently stayed in Graiguenamana (that is spelled many ways in Ireland) and did day trips into Kilkenny to see the castle, etc. It was much more relaxing, as Kilkenny felt like a big city full of commuters and tourists!

Also if you're set on that itinerary above, I'd suggest 2 nights Dingle and 2 Ring of Kerry (Kenmare or wherever that ends up being.....). As the previous commenter says, one night anywhere doesn't give you much to see besides the steering wheel!

re: Oughterard - if you're still looking in that area, consider the Leenane Hotel in Leenaun (another place spelled many ways!). I've stayed there and at Delphi Resort nearby - that area is so lovely!! It's where they filmed The Field . If you do stay in that area, be sure to check out the Killary Fjord cruise. I've done it three times, and still go back each time I am in the area.

Also near Maam Cross there is a little house/shop/photo gallery/cafe that is run by a father and daughter and is a joy to discover! The dad was a hillwalker before he was injured, and his photos are fantastic! I spent hours there just gabbing with them one day!

Susan
Expat in Waterville, Ring of Kerry

Posted by
7 posts

Hi Julia, we too are planning a trip to Ireland. We’ve visited four times in the recent past and have done Bike tours three of the four times. This time we have the luxury of going for 8 weeks. We will be staying for 4 weeks in Westport and spending the other weeks traveling to wherever the wind (or bus) take us. If I were to choose just four places to settle in for a few days, they would be:

1. Connemara region (Westport or Clifden): for beautiful hikes, bike rides, history, food

2. Doolin for music, food, Burren, Cliffs of Moher, Aran Islands - all are wonderful day trips. Stay at Daly House (wonderful, wonderful B & B). The ferry to The Aran Islands is beautiful and can be a day trip.

3. Dingle for the Dingle Peninsula drive, music, food, history (beehive huts)
    Alternative: Kenmare for access to both Ring of Kerry and Beara Peninsula. Beautiful town, great hiking

4. Kinsale for pretty little town, easy access to beautiful sea, food, music, shopping
    Alternative: Baltimore, much smaller and quieter, beautiful sea views

Posted by
4 posts

I have updated my profile as suggested, good idea. It is very kind of you all to respond, and helpful too. As my profile might suggest, I would like to make bases in small towns or villages with plenty of pubs and yet reasonable access during the day to walks and historic sites. Opportunity to hang with residents is important too.
B and bs, with maybe a nice lodge or inn for part of the trip.
Again, 14 nights is what I am thinking of.