Please sign in to post.

Two Week Itinerary

Hello,
Planning on going to Ireland for two weeks this September/October. This is a rough itinerary and would like to know if there is anything I should add/delete.
Sept 24-Arrive Dublin
Sept25/26-Dublin (I have been to Dublin before and have seen a lot of the sites, would like to recover from jetlag and enjoy the city a bit at a relaxing pace)
Sept 27- Go to Dingle (joining a walking tour)
Sept 28-Dingle Peninsula Walk
Sept 29-Dingle Peninsula Walk
Sept 30-Dingle-Galway
Oct1-Galway
Oct 2-Galway
Oct 3-Galway to Northern Ireland
Oct 4-8-Northern Ireland
Oct 9- Dublin and then home

Taking public transportation (I really don't feel comfortable driving)

Unsure about Northern Ireland as I would prefer to base myself and take day trips from there. Is this all doable from Belfast (want to see Derry, Giants Causeway and Antrim coast)?

Posted by
2943 posts

Have you been to Brú na Bóinne? It makes a great day trip from Dublin. From Dublin take a direct train to Kilkenny and rent a car there and visit the Rock of Cashel.
Galway is my least favorite place in Ireland. The only reason to spend time there is that it’s a great jumping off point to visit Inishmore and Connemara. I would visit Kinsale, Cobh, Kenmare and the Ring of Kerry before going to Galway.

Posted by
1189 posts

Hello from Wisconsin,
Galway is me second least favorite city in Ireland. Least favorite, Limerick. I was so happy to see a similar response about Galway.

How do you plan to get from Galway to Belfast? My bet is that you have to train/bus to Dublin and then Train/bus to Belfast. I was once in the Burren of County Clare, a bit south of Galway city. I bumped into an Irishman while viewing a Dolmen. I had landed that morning having spent 8 hours flying from Chicago. He said he had spent 9 hours driving from Belfast to get to this same location.

Instead of staying in Galway, you might consider pushing on further and staying in Clifden and then Westport. That might leave you hanging on how to get to Belfast.

Dingle to Belfast is like opposite sides of the world. The Dingle Hike sounds great. Getting to Belfast or Derry sounds time consuming. Maybe you would be best served staying in the Dingle/Beara region.

wayne iNWI