Please sign in to post.

Trip to Ireland

We have made our plans to go to Ireland and Scotland leaving May 15th to Dublin. We are old in years but are good travelers(81 and 77) We prefer to stay in one place at least 5 to 8 days so we have looked at staying in Dun Laoghaire and taking trips out of Dublin. (We are also very frugal, and Dun Laoghaire is very reasonable, as RS book promised) We are going to take the New Grange tour and would like to know if anyone knows how long in advance you need to book this. Also we have looked at taking a Rabbie tour to the south to the Wicklow mountains and would like to know if anyone has done this and how long you have to book this in advance, also. We are open to other tour suggestions in Dublin. We have signed up for the www. cityofathousandwelcomes also.
We then go to Galway and need to know about the tours people have taken from there. We want to see the Clifts of Moher and take a trip into the Connemara and would appreciate any information on trips out of Galway.

Our plans are set as to where we will be, i.e. we already have reservations in both places we have mentioned. Like we mentioned we are old and adventuresome, but we like to know where we will lay our heads before we venture out.
We leave Ireland for Glasgow, Inverness, and Edinburgh, but those questions will be on the Scotland link.
Thank you all for any suggestions. We have been traveling on our own, with RS books for help since 2007. This will be our 8th trip. We would never have done it without this web site and RS books.

Posted by
1366 posts

If you have plan on taking the Mary Gibbons Newgrange Tour you should book as soon as you know when you want to go. Last year I started trying to book about a month in advance for a trip at the end of May. I had two dates on which I could go. Both were mid-week. One was already sold out.

Posted by
8375 posts

Consider a trip to the Aran Islands out of Galway. There is a shuttle bus from downtown directly to the ferry dock.

Posted by
267 posts

I would second the Arran Islands tour from Galway suggestion. Once you take the ferry and arrive, there are a number of local tour operators waiting in vans, so you just walk up to one and if they have room, climb in. I booked my bus ticket to the ferry the day before I went (in June).

This company was recommended for several day tours, but I haven't used them.

http://www.fahertytours.com/