Please sign in to post.

Travel to Shannon, Galway, Sligo, Downpatrick, and Dublin September 2017

Hello everyone! I've never been to Ireland before and I'm having trouble figuring out whether or not I should get a rail pass for travel since I won't be renting a car. I'll be traveling from Shannon to Galway, Galway to Sligo, Sligo to Downpatrick, and Downpatrick to Dublin during September 13-September 25 2017. Would it be best for me to get an Irish Rail Pass, a Eurorail Pass, a different kind of pass, or buy tickets as I go? Will I be able to travel to these places by train or will I need to take a mix of trains and buses? If it's trains+buses is there a particular pass that's good for that? Any information or help that anyone can provide, I'd be extremely grateful! Thanks!!

Posted by
1077 posts

If I were you I would purchase a Rick Steves Ireland guide book ASAP. Ireland is difficult to get around by just train, on the other hand buses will take you everywhere but they are really slow due to frequent stops. A car is by far the best way to see Ireland, if your worried about driving on the left you can hire people as your driver, but if you only take public transportation you will be limited by time and travel locations. I love Ireland, it is my favorite country in Europe, the people are amazing and the countryside is beautiful. Hope you have a great trip!

Posted by
7277 posts

We were on bicycles for most of our trip in 2011 (gritting our teeth on some of the narrower roads with lots of traffic), but used buses with success for connecting the longer parts. We flew in to Shannon and started off by bus to Glasgow to pick up our bikes, using Rick's guidebook for lots of help. The Bus Éireann buses (or coaches) have an Irish Setter on the side, instead of the Greyhound we're used to seeing on buses in the USA. Didn't use any trains that trip, but we were traveling south from Galway, not north, and we didn't visit any of Northern Ireland, just within the Republic of Ireland.

Posted by
217 posts

How long are you planning to spend in each area? Renting a car would give you so much more freedom. The travel from Sligo over to Downpatrick may not be easy by bus.

Posted by
2 posts

My itinerary breaks down to:

1 day in Shannon
3 days in Galway
3 days in Sligo
2 days in Downpatrick
3 days in Dublin

I know that road trips and car rentals seem to be THE thing when visiting Ireland and I understand the convenience but for me it's too expensive and nerve-wracking to be worth it. Even if it increases my travel times I will absolutely not be renting a car, I'd rather relax lol.

However, you're absolutely right that getting from Sligo to Downpatrick is my biggest issue. I don't mind the 6-7 hr travel time without the car, but I'm having trouble finding info on the best way to switch between Bus Eirran and Translink services and whether there's a bus pass that covers both. Any ideas?

Thanks for all the help guys!!!!