Please sign in to post.

transport from dublin airport

We are arriving at Dublin airport fri July 28 around 4 PM . Looking for the best way to get to our hotel (Castle hotel dublin, Gardiner row). We will have a few bags; would there be taxis available usually or should I try to book something ahead? We don't rent cars, do use public transport but in this case don't think a bus with luggage and 2 oldsters is the best idea. Ideas?

Posted by
37 posts

Kristin,
In Ireland currently with my wife and Family.
We walked out terminal and to taxi stand…a few minutes later in the cab and on to Dublin.
Very easy and reliable way to get from airport to Dublin…no RSVP required.
There are other ways but we thought this was a simple and effective way.
Enjoy Ireland!

Posted by
2825 posts

No need to reserve ahead - just proceed to the taxi queue and wait your turn.
Though the airport bus will be a bit cheaper we always opt for a taxi too - can't beat the comfort and convenience of door to door service when dealing with luggage.

Posted by
58 posts

Silly question.. should I have euros or do taxis in Ireland take a credit card?

Posted by
37 posts

Credit card works fine for taxi…and most everything else in Ireland!
Little need for cash.

Posted by
2825 posts

If the driver helps you with your luggage, maybe a few Euros. Otherwise no

Posted by
59 posts

Robert or Ronmillerco - With our trip to Ireland coming up in mid-October, I am looking in to some of these details myself. Are you able to say the approximate cost for a taxi from Dublin airport to Heuston Station? It's just my wife and I, with 2 medium rollers and a backpack or equivalent each. We get in around 6:00 A.M. on Saturday. Also, how much time should we allow between getting off the plane (6:00), and getting to Heuston to get a train over to Galway? Thanks for any comments. NOTE - I am aware that it would be cheaper and easier to get a bus/coach from the airport over to Galway, but we really want to do the train ride. Thanks.

Posted by
2825 posts

According to this Fare Estimator the range will be approx. 37 - 56 Euros.
It's about a 45 minute drive from the airport to Heuston station.
I'd guesstimate that allowing 3 hours from landing should give you a reasonable cushion before your train departs. Anything less than that might be a little risky.

Posted by
59 posts

Thank you, Robert, for the reply. Much appreciated. That's a chunk of money but is currently what we are leaning towards. The ease of falling into a cab after the overnight flight from Philadelphia is very tempting. thanks

Posted by
25 posts

So if we are opting for taking the bus from Dublin airport to Galway how far is bus station from airport? ...and while we are at it how dependable is Are Lingus ? We are flying in from Glasgow on 12:00 flight.Help Help,please!!

Posted by
58 posts

I got in the taxi line, worked well, esp with the bags .
Thanks for the help!

Posted by
5748 posts

Lynn,

The bus station for Galway is straight outside the airport terminal, no need to go into Central Dublin. With buses at least every half hour (every 15 minutes at peak times) 24 hours a day it doesn't matter if the flight is late arriving.
With such frequent service I don't believe that it makes sense to buy tickets from the Airport, as that just causes quite unnecessary stress.