Please sign in to post.

Tolls in Ireland

I want to be as prepared as I possibly can be for the tolls while driving in Ireland. I will pick up my rental car at Dublin airport, drive south to Killenny and overnight in Kinsale. From there I will drive to Dingle then north and overnight outside of Galway with a return trip to the Dublin Airport.
—Would you have an idea of tolls I would encounter?
—What Would be the options for paying any tolls?
I imagine it would make sense to have a lot of change. In my perfect world, I would love to pay the toll immediately and not have to worry about going online, etc. But I’ll do what is expected, of course, Thanks for your thoughts.

Posted by
1386 posts

We rented a car from a Hertz franchise in Dublin off the south circular road. It came with a transponder for most of the tolls. We were separately billed for the tolls with a small service charge. In the west part of Ireland there were a couple of tolls where we paid with coins tossed in the basket. I don’t remember if there were “personed” booths for which you could get change. Concerned local’s advice to check with your rental agency is a good idea.

Posted by
2 posts

Trotter, we'll be renting from that specific Hertz location in a couple weeks. Any thoughts or suggestions based on your experience? Thanks!

Posted by
1386 posts

MJ, if you are renting from Conn’s Ireland and heading west or south it’s really easy to get on the N7. I think it was two left turns. Make sure you get an automatic and I believe they give you a GPS for free. Have a great trip.