Please sign in to post.

Tipping

Hello! Can you please confirm or correct my understanding of tipping etiquette in Ireland (and Northern Ireland)? Thank you!

Restaurants: If not included in a service fee, 10-15%

Bars: $0

Day Tours: 10% if special attention

Housekeeping: $1-2 per day

Posted by
8889 posts

They don't use $ in Ireland, they use Euros (€) in the Republic, and pounds (£) in Northern Ireland. So don't try and pay for anything in $ (of any sort), as it won't be accepted.

I would not tip anybody in a hotel, restaurant or bar.
Adding a "Service Fee" to a bill is regarded by many as a scam (a way of putting a price in the menu which is not the final price), prices should include everything, raw materials, transport, preparation, service and taxes. You should not have to pay any more

Posted by
172 posts

We were recently in Ireland. Usually tipped 1 or 2 euros in restaurants if the service was good. It was appreciated. Why is tipping a percentage? The person is doing the same work carrying a 10€ burger or a 20€ fish.

Posted by
44 posts

Thanks Laura, and, sorry! I normally do a "search" before posting. I think I thought I did but I didn't..... :(

Posted by
5311 posts

"Tipping is appreciated but is not essential" is as fair a general summary I've ever seen of the principle more or less across Europe. Individual countries, and indeed individuals within countries will vary around this - but it does get over too that tipping is unlikely to cause offense. Percentages don't really come into it (and service charges aren't really tips either but I leave that for another day ...).