Please sign in to post.

Three Weeks in Ireland

I am traveling Solo to Ireland from the end of September through mid-October. Time to finalize details! I am mostly looking for thoughts on “sights not to miss” as well as “you can skip that.” I am interested in museums, scenery (walking, not hiking), history, local culture (including fine crafts), and food. I like to minimize the number of cities as much as possible, preferring side trips. I plan to use public transportation, coupled with a few day long tours (small groups or private). I’ll be flying in and out of Cork – going in will leave immediately for Kinsale, heading home will spend a night. Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions!

Kinsale – 4 nights: Acclimate. Scilly Walk to Charles Fort. Walking history tour. Shop.

Killarney – 3 nights: Ring of Dingle. Killarney Shuttle to Ross Castle, Tork Waterfall, short boat cruise on Loch Lein.
Galway – 4 nights: Day trip to Aran Islands, Cliffs of Moher; Oyster Festival
Roundstone – 3 nights Ballynahinch Castle; wander around Connemara
Derry - 2 nights: Museum of Free Derry
Belfast - 1 night: Bushmill’s; St. George’s Market; Street Art
Dublin – 4 nights: Day trip to Trim Castle, Bective Abbey, Hill of Tara, Monasterboice, town of Brogheda; Jameson’s; Malahide Castle and gardens
Cork – 1 night: The English Market

Finally, for meals, I like to eat casual (pub) one day, nice the next, with focus on fish and seafood. I have started looking through “John and Sally McKenna’s Guide” for ideas on dining, specifically their “2018 100 best restaurants” list. Does anyone have thoughts on their recommendations? I find I don’t appreciate Rick Steves tips, though I do use his books for other purposes.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

p.s. Please note that I initially thought about combining Ireland and Scotland in one trip, but decided I need at least two weeks in Scotland, and five weeks wasn't doable for this trip.

Posted by
3227 posts

I noticed that you do not list the Titanic museum in Belfast. I haven't been, but everyone on this forum seems to rate it highly.

Posted by
856 posts

First, and most importantly, have you looked at the train/bus schedules yet to determine which route is going to be the most time efficient for you? From Killarney to Dublin by train is around four hours, so to go from Killarney to Galway, another couple of hours, will be most of one day on a train. Try to break it up more so you don’t spend too much time looking at the scenery through a train window. Since you are landing in Cork I might suggest taking the train to Killarney first, and make that your starting point and spend your first four days there as there is a lot to see and do nearby (Gap of Dunloe is not on your list). From there take the train to Kinsale as it is quite small and really only needs a day to see the town and Charles Fort. The other option would be to skip Kinsale until the end of your trip when you return to Cork. Kinsale could be done as a day trip from Cork as the bus trip is only an hour, and it runs every hour. Take a day or two from Kinsale and break up your train ride to Galway by stopping in Kilkenny for a night or two. Then take the train to Galway where your planned four nights will be enough to see what’s on your list. I did not do Roundstone or Derry, but from Galway I took the train to Belfast. I seem to recall I wanted to get up to Derry, but the transit schedule didn’t work out for some reason. Belfast deserves more then one night if you can. Four nights in Dublin is good. I would suggest taking in Newgrange if you can. On your return to Cork see if you can see the Rock of Cashel some how. I know there is a bus that goes there, but it will depend on how much time you have left.

Posted by
279 posts

While up near Bushmill’s, add some time for the Giant’s Causeway—it is definitely worth the time! Iirc, there was a Game of Thrones bus tour out of Belfast that included stops at some lovely locations used for the tv series.

Posted by
44 posts

Fabulous comments Anita - Thanks!!!

I appreciate your comments on travel time. I guess I forgot to say I LOVE TRAIN TRAVEL, and several of my legs have train travel options, allowing for my 60-year-old pins to get a rest as well as catering to my train fetish. In short, I have looked at travel options, and feel fairly comfortable with them. I tried to pick train options when I would learn they were on particularly beautiful routes.

I like your suggestion on switching Killarney and Kinsale. Will have to see if it makes sense time wise, as I arrive in Cork at 4:00 pm (16:00) and want to get to night's destination by dark.

Also like tip to see Kilkenny. I am looking at day trip from Dublin, to see Rock of Cashel and Kilkenny. Newgrange will be very tough to fit in, though I understand its significance.

I initially had Derry at 3 days, and Belfast 2, but funny how you start to learn more about all the sights, that certain cities unfortunately come up short. I tried to short areas where I might not return , and I do feel a deeper exploration of Belfast and Kerry would be manageable in my trip to Scotland next year. I would delete completely, but you never know how things might change.

Again, thanks for your input!

Posted by
44 posts

Hi Folks!

I am making some modifications to itin, including replacing Roundstone with Westport. I have been able to free up a day and would like to add a tour. Can you give me thoughts on whether I should go to Rock of Cashel or Giant's Causeway? Thanks!!!

Posted by
8682 posts

Rock of Cashel is in the Republic of Ireland, Giants Causeway in Northern Ireland. Two separate countries. So do want more time in NI or another Ireland offering?

Posted by
856 posts

So, the Rock of Cashel and the Giant's Causeway are quite far apart, and quite different, so it might be best if you post your new itinerary so we can see what activities you already have planned. Having said that, if you add a day to Belfast and do a guided day trip from there to the Giant's Causeway it will be a tour of scenery. The drive up the Antrim coast is terrific, the tour will probably stop at the Carrick-a-rede rope bridge, tour the distillery, and then the Causeway (hopefully the rain will hold off). Rock of Cashel is a dramatic ancient, historical site where you can do a guided walking tour, but on it's own it only requires a couple of hours at the most. As I mentioned earlier you can get there by bus from Cork. There is probably a day tour from Cork that includes it and some other sites, but they likely also include Blarney castle which I would not waste my time on. My other suggestion would be to add the day to Dublin and do a day tour that includes Newgrange and several other stops. The tour that I did included some places you already have on your list (Hill of Tara and Monasterboice) so you may be able to consolidate several places into one day trip.

Posted by
44 posts

Good idea, Anita. Following is my updated iten. My extra day came by cutting Westport to 2 days, added that day to Belfast for a tour to Giants Causeway. Added tour (or bus) to Rock of Cashel from Kinsale (Cork). Newgrange sounds interesting and is certainly and important historical site, but just not on my radar. I may still putz around with beginning of trip. I just know I am not interested in staying in Cork unless I have to, and I know Kinsale is small but I'm allowing a day for possible jet lag. I think this is my "final draft." I really appreciate your input! Thanks to all who have posted!

• Fly into Cork;  head to Kinsale for 3 days: Charles Fort, tour to Rock of Cashel (or bus), seafood!
  • Killarney 4 days: Ring of Derry, Ring of Dingle and Slea Head, Killarney National Park - Muckross House and Torc Waterfall
  • Galway 4 days: Aran Islands, Cliffs of Moher, International Oyster Festival – I love oysters!
  • Westport 2 days: Crough Patrick, Westport House and Gardens 
  • Derry 2 days: Bloody Sunday Murals, Free Derry Museum
  • Belfast 2 days: Ulster Hall; Peace Wall; Big Fish Salmon of Knowledge on Donegall Quay; tour to Giants Causeway and Bushmills
  • Dublin 4 days: Day trip to Trim Castle, Bective Abbey, Hill of Tara, Monasterboice, town of Brogheda;   Guiness Museum, Grafton Street, Trinity College and Book of Kells, St. Patrick’s Cathedral, National Museum of Ireland, Christ Church, Malahide Castle and Gardens
  • Cork for final day - long but scenic travel day, taking scenic train from Dublin to Wexford, then transfer to train to Cork. Get in late afternoon, probably just spend rest of day at The English Market. Next day is full travel day home.