Please sign in to post.

Staying in a castle

Traveling to Ireland in October and my companion wants to stay in a "castle" I have had trouble locating something that isn't either super expensive or fits her castle expectation (grand but not too new and shiny) We have 17 days so even off the beaten path works. Would love suggestions!

Posted by
3119 posts

You are correct that with 17 days to work with, you could hypothetically make it to just about anyplace on the Emerald Isle where a suitable castle lodging may be found.

The question that jumps to my mind is, what is your companion's "castle expectation"? For some people, it's not a castle unless it has a moat, bailey, keep etc.. For others, a fortified structure where a nobleman's family once lived (ever) would be fine. For still others, an aristocratic country house that resembles traditional castle architecture, but dates from the 18th or even 19th century, would be OK. So the expectation really makes a big difference here, I think.

You have probably already combed through this site, which claims to be among the most complete listings? http://www.castlehotelsireland.com/

Posted by
9 posts

We have reservations to stay at Ballyseede Castle (https://www.ballyseedecastle.com/) in a couple of weeks. It's near Tralee, not too far from Dingle and/or Killarney.

We searched for castles to sleep in all over the country, and there are many. We chose Ballyseede mostly because it was convenient to our itinerary. There are lots of others to choose from. Hopefully you can find one that suits your wants and needs.

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks for the suggestions. My friend picked Castletownshed. It seemed to meet all her "castle" requirements, was one our travel path at a time when they had availability and WAS reasonably priced!

Posted by
34 posts

We just returned from a manor house that was our favorite of the entire trip. It looks like a castle, and has great character. The owner runs the place, has 40 acres of beautiful grounds, and fixes a lovely breakfast in a huge 19th century dining hall. Really, it is like being in the Downton Abbey show. It is called Manor Kilbride, run by Margaret Cully, and is only 45 minutes from Dublin. The cost for a double room for 2 persons was 198 euros with breakfast included. And, she fixes an incredible dinner with wine selections with a little advance notice; it was the best (and most elegant setting) dinner we had in Ireland. Check it out, you won't be disappointed.

Posted by
3119 posts

Can it be, I just looked up Lough Eske castle and there's a photo of an indoor swimming pool?!? Ooh, I really would love to go!