Please sign in to post.

Skellig Michael

Trying to make a reservation to visit Skellig Michael in early May. Not having any luck with the email addresses in the 2019 RS Ireland Guidebook. Am I too early to contact them? Looks like landings on the island begin in mid-May but hoping we can arrange a visit when we're there on May 7th!

Posted by
6788 posts

I experienced the same thing when I first tried (in the fall) to book a landing trip for the following July.

I went in mid-summer. Not sure exactly when the landings actually begin - you may be a bit too early. Try another operator, or give them a call if you can.

We were going in July, presumably the peak of tourism season. I started pinging them in October or November. My emails went unanswered for a few weeks. Eventually I got a response, informing me that no bookings could be made until the operator got their landing permits for the upcoming season, which typically happens sometime over the winter. They said to check back later, so I did. I kept pestering them every week or two for a few months. Sometimes they responded, sometimes they didn't. Finally got a notice from them (in late March, I think) that they received their permits (later than expected, I believe - it sounds like a somewhat unpredictable process). Within 24 hours of receiving their notification, I jumped online and booked my tickets for early July (and I got the last two seats on the day I wanted - the only day we would be able to do it!). We were able to make the landing trip and yes it was awesome, so it all worked out. But at least in my case, between the delay in them opening up bookings (due to bureaucratic delays) and the high demand during peak summer season, it was a tough needle to thread. Worth it, though!

Good luck!

Posted by
61 posts

Thanks for sharing your experience. I will keep at it!

Posted by
217 posts

I believe the application period for this year's permits is still open so they're unlikely to be issued before March.

Posted by
61 posts

Ok. I’ll wait til March to contact them. Thanks!

Posted by
6788 posts

Personally, I wouldn't just sit back without engaging them for a long time. I'd ping them occasionally just to check in and ensure you don't miss an early opportunity. My sense was that last year, the permits may have came late, and that the process timing was not entirely predictable. I might have made myself a pest, but...I got tickets and did the landing. Maybe ping them once a month?

Posted by
56 posts

I just went through my old itinerary for two years ago. On January 24, I started contacting places to make a reservation. Ireland only allow 15 boats to be licensed each year. We used: http://www.theskelligsforceawakens.com It was to leave from the docks at Portmagee. Unfortunately, our day wasn't weather permitting. We were suppose to go out early, but the captain called us and said maybe after lunch. As we were sitting in the only coffee shop in the small town, we realize that we are talking to the captain! He told us that the boats hadn't gone out in 10 days due to the weather. We were so disappointed, because that was the one thing we planned our whole trip around. Although we were sad, we traveled along the quiet coastline and enjoyed one of the best days wondering through the little towns. Now, we just have to make another trip back to Ireland!

Posted by
6788 posts

Yes, a lot of it comes down to luck. Ideally, one can schedule several days in the area and one of them will work out, but that's really hard to do when most of us have constrained time for trips, and too many places we want to see. We got lucky. We had one day, and one day only (on a too-shirt trip). The weather was good enough (a bit on the gray and drippy side, not blue sky and sunshine), it all worked out, we went and very much enjoyed it. Sometimes you gotta roll the dice and just take your chances...

Posted by
7327 posts

This could be outdated information, as my trip was in late June 2011, before there was the current demand for Skellig Michael trips. Even though i was able to phone a boat operator from Dingle, Ireland just 2 or 3 days beforehand, to reserve a spot for a boat that might or might not actually have calm enough seas to go, I was told that late June was the first that boats went out, back then. Maybe demand has pushed the schedule earlier, now? Best of luck getting your reservation for the time you want - it’s an awesome place!

Posted by
61 posts

I’m very grateful for all of the comments and information. We will keep our fingers crossed for a May 7th landing!