Please sign in to post.

Skellig Michael

We will be in Ireland on May 27th-June 10th. Who has made it to Skellig Micheal during this time?

Posted by
1172 posts

Have you reached out to the companies that run the boats to Skellig Michael. My guess is that they are already sold out for your time frame. We were there last July and I reached out in April and they were sold out. We still drove down and did the museum and none of the boats made it out that day.. it was a gorgeous clear blue sky day and still the sea was too rough.
The lady was telling us that is was very unpredictable

Posted by
2814 posts

The boats that land you on the island for the hike up to the beehive huts are likely already sold out. The boats from the Skellig Visitor Center at Portmagee that do an out and back circuit of the islands is usually available...and during your time frame you can probably check the weather a day in advance and then book a trip at that time. Availability for that trip is usually not a problem.

Posted by
266 posts

I visited on June 11 last year, and I booked the trip in early April. The only way to know if the boats still have spots is too call. If you don’t have a reservation, you can show up really early and stand in line for cancellations. Two people on our boat got on that way. However, there were still people waiting in line when we left.

The weather was good, a bit overcast. It was a great time to visit.

Posted by
4 posts

Everything I've read so far, the main reason is the weather. This year, however, they have to abide by new regulations on the landing tour. Seems like I will have to settle for touring both islands instead, oh well. Thank you guys for your input. I really appreciate it.

Posted by
330 posts

Hello,
I went last June. Yes, it is weather dependent. Was lucky to go and was the highlight of my week in Ireland.
Here are two websites for you to look at: http://www.portmagee.ie/section737465_280704.html
and http://wikitravel.org/en/Skellig_Michael

Book now so you have a possible seats in the boat. A limited number of people are premitted on the island per day. The boat operators are helpful, contact them asap.

Have a terrific adventure!