Please sign in to post.

skellig michael

Hello in early stage of planning a trip to Ireland for 2019. We have our 3 children going with us. My wife and I wanted to see Skelling Michael even before Star wars came out. Our children are to young to do the landing tour so we are consider our options to see this site. I understand the boats do not always go out so no way to know if you will get to see it.
My questions is
Has anyone done the ECO tour around the island - I know we want to get on but this may prove to be the only way we can see it. Just wondered if anyone has tried this.

Our other thoughts would be for one day me to go and one day for my wife to go separate.

Or just wait a few more years until the kids are older.

Posted by
189 posts

Whether it's this trip or the next be sure you go! I've been twice taking my grandson the second time. He just saw the new movie and even though I'm not a fan of Star Wars he said I had to go.

If the seas are rough you definitely don't want to take young kids. My grand son was 10. He would have been fine if the seas were rough.

Posted by
359 posts

Skellig Michael is one of our favorite spots. We've done the Eco tour and it was totally worth it. We left out of Portmagee and the ride was fantastic - Valentia Island just to the north....Puffin Island and the Cliffs of Kerry to the south. We went w Paul Devane cruises and had a spectacular captain named Christie. He was fun, informative, interesting and oddly not touristy......Just a great warm knowledgeable local. We had spectacular views of the birds on Little Skellig, lingered there and had local fisherman toss fresh catches into our boat which our captain claimed for his later dinner ! Heard great history and then slowly toured Skellig Michael with great background provided and great patience with our loads of questions. It's tons of fun and kids love it. If you can climb the steps and heights and some pretty scary spots don't bother you, climbing Skellig is spectacular, but the Eco tour on its own is fantastic.

If anyone is prone to seasickness take the warnings seriously. You're out in the ocean and on even a fairly calm day the swells in what are small boats can be rough on tender stomachs. On one choppy day we went some folks were quite ill.....we loved it......but others not so much.
Have loads of fun.....load up on the history - FAR more interesting than Star Wars........Viking raids, shipwrecks, B-24 bomber crashes, amazing rescues and sea life surrounding the islands that is astounding.

Posted by
409 posts

I recently posted info on the Skelligs after interviewing a few captains last week. You can see that post here on the Ireland feed.....

Do you know the month you're planning on going? That will be a big determinant. Last season there were some pretty bad storms before the season; the stone steps collapsed in part; so the landings were delayed for a few weeks. So early on it's hard to guarantee a landing, no matter the weather!

I've seen so many posts about people throwing up on the boat ride, at first I thought they were kidding. I lucked out and the times I've boated around the area, it was obviously somewhat calm! It wasn't nearly "throw up" boating! :-} But as you mentioned, it can be!

The eco tour is actually just a boat tour - but as far as Ecology you'll love it! Dolphins! Minke whales! Basking sharks! Even a buddy who fishes saw an orca last year! So the boat ride could, in all likelihood, be awesome for young and old!

Susan
Expat living in Waterville/Skellig Coast

Posted by
6 posts

Hello. I too, wanted to see Skellig Michael before I saw it in Star Wars! I want to see puffins & it looks like they are roosting/breeding in Ireland starting in May. Susan, do you have any specific info about puffin viewing, since you live in Ireland? I'm planning my trip for mid-May 2019.
Does anyone have a link for the ecotour?
Thx!

Christine

Posted by
293 posts

May I ask what is the eco tour? I have not looked at any of the boats available to go to the island and what it entails
From what I've read here it's pretty detailed
I will have my 10 ye old granddaughter
We are quite adventurous.
Another question. We are staying in Dingle so I guess it's an early morning drive to get to where the boat sets sail?
We are going in early May. 7th -9th this year
Thankyou
Pat

Posted by
409 posts

Pat,
There are a couple of boats from Dingle even though most of them go from Portmagee. Just make sure you confirm the boat you're looking to go on is a Dingle boat! (or stay near Portmagee! ;-) ). Also you say you're going in early May -- do you know they might not actually be going out that early in the season? The starting date for landings is determined by the government.....

Susan
expat living in Waterville, on the Skellig Coast

Thank you for all the valuable info you share! My husband, 27 year-old daughter and her friend will be in Dingle May 31-June 9: Very much hoping to visit Skellig Michael and would appreciate any specific boat operators you could share. Husband and I were in Ireland for first time last fall - when hurricane hit! Weather was too rough to go.
Many thanks! Amy