Please sign in to post.

Skellig Michael - to the top with mobility issues?

Hello!
I am 48 but new to traveling. I come from the United States. I am considering travel to Ireland and have an interest in Skellig Michael.
However, I have full-body arthritis, particularly bad in my knees and need both kneecaps replaced. I CAN walk up stairs, holding a railing, or holding someone's hand (or sometimes up or down on my bum!) but is it feasible for me to think I can get to the top to see the monastery? Is it very long? Narrow? Slippery? Treacherous? If I cannot climb, will I just sit and wait at the bottom for my partner to come down or is there things I can do? I just don't want to plan a trip around this and then (1) feel defeated or (2) end up bye-bye off the side of an Irish cliff. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Posted by
2427 posts

I would suggest that you visit the website skelligislands.com which conducts tours to Skellig Michael. You will find answers to all of your questions there.

Posted by
6788 posts

Mary, alas, I think it's going to be a significant challenge. No railings to speak of, except for in just a few places. The stairs/steps are somewhat regular but largely cut out of rock long ago, or slabs of rock placed long ago. It's a lot of steps (over 600 up, and hopefully an equal number coming down), and there's not a lot of protection in event of a mis-step.

Is it very long?

Over 600 steps each way. It's quite a ways up there (and down again).

Narrow?

Not narrow, most steps are quite wide. But people will be going both ways, up and down, so you won't always have the full width of every step all to yourself. People tend to give others the space they need, but everyone seems to be extremely focused on not making a misstep themselves (which is understandable).

Slippery?

Not particularly slippery (when I was there) but not exactly up to "ADA standards", as there are certainly some irregularities.

Treacherous?

Yes, I would use that term. This is not a place to loose your footing and fall. That said, there were plenty of older folk (present company included) gingerly making their way up and down, but those with mobility issues really need to take the risks seriously. Like, deadly seriously.

I put some photos online showing the walk up/down. Take a look: The Climb Up Skellig Michael

I have more photos, and a write-up, if you want to see them, send me a message and I'll share a link.

Please take the risks seriously. You MIGHT be able to do it with enough help, but it is a lot of steps and a long way up/down. There's no room for a misstep. Hope this helps.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you so much for this kind and thoughtful reply! I just read somewhere else that the "beehives" aren't at the very top.
Is it 600 stairs to the beehives or to the very top? Is up to just the beehives "safer?"

Posted by
6788 posts

It's 600-ish steps up to the level where the beehive huts are. That's about as far as they'll let you go (there may be some more steps beyond that, but if there are, they're hidden/off limits).

For your 600 steps up, you get to see it all - the beehive huts, views out to Little Skellig, puffins, the works. PM sent.

Posted by
597 posts

I decided not to attempt it after reading that even getting off the boat could be a challenge for my short legs. I wouldn't attempt it with bad knees. Instead, we decided to go on the tour that circled around the island without a landing. But, in the end, the weather was so bad that no boats left the port the day we were in Portmagee. Instead, our group ended up at the Skellig Experience Visitor Centre and then did a hike in dense fog and mist.

Posted by
150 posts

Hi Mary- I am 45 and have had JRA/ RA for a very, very long time- it affects many of my joints, but mainly the ankles. I did a trip to Skellig Michael when we were in Ireland in 2007 (so, I was late 20s at that point). I'd love to tell you to go for it, because it sucks when arthritis gets in the way of life. BUT, it is all the things you described- long, narrow, slippery, treacherous.

There are no rails (at least in 2007) and it was raining our whole trip, so the steps were quite slick. Everyone was taking it slow but coming down was a bit scary at times, to be honest. I'm glad I did it back then because I don't know that I could do it now- I'm having an ankle replacement this summer (but I still do travel quite a bit).

The beehives are at the very top, if I recall correctly. Another option might be to do just the boat trip? Seeing the islands was really cool even before landing. I would watch videos online, check out pics, etc- you're the only one who can judge if it's in your capabilities or not.

Best of luck! Arthritis always makes things more challenging. Happy to answer any other questions.

Posted by
1839 posts

Have a look at this youtube video Realiustically the answer is no. Having osteoarthritis in both knees I wouldn't attempt this, even if using walking poles for extra support.

Posted by
13946 posts

@David....your pictures are stunning and truly worth a thousand words. Your puffin shots are adorable! Thank you for posting the link.