Please sign in to post.

sibling trip in June 2019

I am planning a sibling trip there will be 8 of us, Tentative plan is in and out of shannon. then to Galway for a few nights, dingle for a few nights, kenmare 1 night, kinsale for a few then somewhere near the airport the last night, Is the the best route

Posted by
8377 posts

We met a couple who were part of such a sibling trip in our travels last summer. We stopped and visited as we were waiting for the boat at Loch Lomond. They shared that their group was having a good time but that they had learned the hard way that they should not have allowed the "cheapest" sibling to pick all of the accommodations. They were currently staying at a hostel with shared bathrooms 1 mile back from the Lake and the West Highland Way. We had all just eaten lunch at a lovely lakeshore hotel where ensuite rooms would have cost 5 euros more than they were paying at the hostel. They were not happy to be returning to that hostel.

My take away was that good communication and shared decision making on a list of accomodation priorities is very important for such a trip. Talking not only about where you want to go, but what type of accommodations are desired is important.

Posted by
317 posts

Greetings from Dingle.
This is such a cool concept! You'll have so much fun, create greta memories and locals will warm to a sibling group especially. I hoped organise a similar type of trip some years ago all around the same spots you mention and it was a magical time for all.
Good luck with everything and enjoy my motherland :)
Slainte/good health
Stephen McPhilemy
Rick Steves Ireland tour-guide
Dingle, Derry and Dublin

Posted by
279 posts

We had a family trip to Ireland in 2014, with our mom, me, my sister and BIL, and my brother and SIL. We are scattered across the country, so we ended up having multiple conference calls to coordinate our itinerary, and split up the trip into regions, assigning each sibling an area to book the lodgings. We also put together a spreadsheet with our pooled desired sights to see, edited it to a reasonable length, and used that to plan our route.