Please sign in to post.

Short Trip to Ireland Help!

Hello, I have a short trip to Ireland with my boyfriend booked for April 26th - May 3rd. We leave the night of the 26th and arrive the 27th around 10:45 am in Dublin. We are coming from the states so we have about 9 hours of flight time. Not terrible but still quite a trek. Our flight leaves at noon on May 3rd from Dublin. So we really only have 5.5 days. We are renting an automatic car from the airport. I have it booked for the whole time we are there right now. But I can easily change it once we figure out our itinerary. Maybe save some money by not having the car while we are in Dublin and just take the bus/train. I’ve read you don’t really want to drive or park in Dublin anyways.

I’ve done quite a bit of research already but I’m feeling overwhelmed. I’ve read driving is slow here and the roads are small, so it takes longer to get places. We want to maximize our short time we have Ireland, but not cram so much in that we can’t enjoy anything.

So here’s what we enjoy. We aren’t really big city people. We are more interested in doing nature things, eating at good local restaurants, and visiting small towns/pubs. We also like hiking and want see some castles and animals. As well as enjoy some local music.

Here are some things we liked in our research. (I know we won’t fit this all or even most of it in and that’s okay. We will just have to come back! This is just to give you an idea. )
Cliffs of Moher
The Burren
Connemara National Park
Sky Road
Doolin
Rock of Cashel
Hore Abbey
Ring of Kerry
Slea Head Drive (I’ve read this is less crowded than ROK and just as good and also shorter. I think I would pick this over ROK.)
Dingle
Killarney National Park
Ross Castle and Lakes
Gap of Dunloe
Torc waterfall
Gladalough
Wicklow mountains
Giant’s Causeway
Carrick a Rede Rope Bridge
Dunluce Castle

The Aran Islands and Skellig Michael also look amazing but I’m guessing these would be better for another trip.

So given all that what do you think we should include in our trip? Any must sees or other things we should include instead? Open to any ideas.

This was one I came up with but I’m not sure if it’s feasible. I know it’s a lot of driving. I’m worried most about the drive from Dublin to Killarney and then the drive from Dingle to Doolin as those seem like they will be the longest. (Like 5 hours?) Anybody done something like this?

Day 1 - Flight lands in afternoon. Explore Dublin. Stay the night in Dublin.
Day 2 - Head to Killarney National Park. Stop at Rock of Cashel/ Hore Abbey on the way. Explore and stay the night in Killarney.
Day 3 - Killarney National Park again. Head to Dingle. Explore Dingle and stay the night there.
Day 4 - Do slea head drive, head to Doolin. Stay in Doolin.
Day 5 - Do Cliff of Moher and the Burren. Either stay the night in Doolin again or head back to Dublin.
Day 6 - If we stay night 5 in Doolin we could explore more? Maybe see something else? And then head back to Dublin. Or if we head back to Dublin on night 5 we could explore Dublin more on day 6. Relax or possibly do some sort of day tour to Wicklow or maybe even Giants Causeway area.

Thoughts? If this is too much what should I cut out? Or would another itinerary be better?

Sorry this is so long. I appreciate the help. I’ve read far too much info and am confused. Thanks!!

Posted by
3122 posts

The itinerary you've sketched out looks OK to me. You've included some of the best-loved places people on these forums say good things about. For the end of your trip, I'd say give yourself some time to see a bit of Dublin as there's plenty to enjoy there. Pick up your car on the morning of Day 2 and turn it in on the night of Day 5.

You're right, of course, that there are lots of choices. I think you've made nice ones, though.

Posted by
509 posts

Some thoughts from our 2018 trip: A short drive from Killarney National Park is Kissane Sheep Farm with daily exhibits (less than an hour) of the amazing dogs herding a flock of sheep. http://www.kissanesheepfarm.com/ If interested, check their website for schedules which, as we recall, varied from day-to-day.

We particularly enjoyed Doolin, Dingle, driving the Beara Peninsula (no bus traffic; beautiful views; accessible from Kenmare on the Ring/Kerry loop.) You'll enjoy the Slea Head drive as well.

We used the ferry (from Tarbert to Killimer) to cross the Shannon Estuary and minimize drive time between Doolin and Dingle.

I'd put the Burren near the bottom of the list. We drove it en route to an interior village for my wife to see where some of her ancestors once lived. But for that personal element, we probably would have skipped it. That said, the little Burren Center museum in Kilfenora was very interesting (good details in Rick's book).

We enjoyed the boat ride for the Cliffs/Moher. You'll see much more of the cliffs than you'd see from on top, particularly before sundown when they're nicely illuminated.

We picked up our rental car at the airport the night before we departed Dublin. Driving in/out of Dublin wasn't easy for us. If doing it again, we'd grab our bags and take a bus or cab to the airport and leave from there for the next destination.

We know it's hard to chose; so much to see and do in Ireland. Good luck!

Posted by
2967 posts

Can you change your tickets so you can fly into one airport and out another i.e., Dublin and Shannon?

Posted by
1373 posts

After you land start your driving tour and then end your trip with a couple of nights in Dublin and use those days to enjoy the city. The Rock of Cashel will take 1-1.5 hours and the Cliffs about the same. You can see The Burren driving between Doolin and Dublin. I'd try to eliminate some of your one-night stands - maybe stay 3 nights in Killarney-Dingle area and 1 in Doolin (visit the Cliffs on your way to Doolin). Don't let driving and changing lodging take up too much of your time.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks everyone this is all super helpful! I feel so much better alreayd. Unfortunately we can't change our flights without it costing a lot of money so we are going to stick to arriving in Dublin and leaving from Dublin this time. I know driving into Northern Ireland would cost us more so we were thinking about doing a Paddy Wagon tour on a day we don't have a car. I'd love to see those spots but we are so short on time we might just skip it and allow ourselves more time in the other spots. I think I will look into a base hotel for the days we are in the Killarney/Dingle area like mentioned above. Where do you think would be a good place to stay those nights? Maybe in Killarney or Tralee?

Posted by
51 posts

Hi. With only 5.5 days available I think you may want to reduce that itinerary a bit. We have done self-driving on our 3 trips to Ireland so I feel confident in saying that unless you or your boyfriend are experienced risk-takers on the road you will find that anywhere from 33-50% can be added to the driving times that Google maps shows you as you're planning. First, because all but the "M" roads are narrow, relative to the US, and you will be driving on the "wrong" side; second, because unless you stay on the N roads you will inevitably get behind buses, tractors, other tourists etc who will be driving slowly; and third, because you will see so many beautiful places that you'll want to get out and at least take a picture of...that said, there is no better way to go than setting your own schedule and itinerary. Next, do you think this is likely to be your only trip to Ireland, or do you imagine coming back if you love it [You will]. If the latter, you might want to consider a day and a half in Dublin, then getting your car and basing a few nights in someplace like Trim or Drogheda, which have their own attractions and would also give you easy access to day trips to sites like New Grange, as wells a reasonably short drive north to the Dunluce/GiantsCauseway/Carrick-a-Rede area, where you could also spend a couple of nights. Drop your car at the airport the night before departure, stay over in a nearby locale like Shields. Your visit will feel a lot less frantic, you'll spend less time driving, and you'll get to come home and have fun planning which other part of Ireland to visit on your next trip! [The itinerary you posted would be much easier on your NEXT visit, using Shannon airport, BTW] Good Luck!