Please sign in to post.

Shoes

Hello Ireland travelers
My sweetie and I are off to the 14 day Ireland trip. I was planning on taking running shoes and waterproof tall boots. That sound about what I should bring to rainy Ireland?

Shoe wise

Dayna

Posted by
13934 posts

When are you traveling?

Do you mean something like Hunter rain boots? How tall is tall?

I'll also ask if you plan to do any hiking or will you just be doing general touring. I hit a dry patch when I visited Ireland (except for fog) so never really got my feet wet.

Posted by
3996 posts

Have you walked for several hours/miles in your waterproof tall boots? If not, it's time for a test walk. I have found that they offer ZERO support or comfort and are just meant for those who commute by car in rainy weather and thus don't have to walk for anything more than a short distance. I bought these Wellies from LL Bean and returned them on my next trip to Maine as they offered zero foot support and became a nuisance to my feet. I ended up buying LL Bean's Storm Chaser boots as they are both waterproof AND have the support and comfort of sneakers.

Maybe it depends on the brand? Just try them out first to see if they're comfortable for a half day/full day of walking.

Posted by
11156 posts

I have never taken special rain boots or shoes on any trip to Europe. Shoes dry at night if you are caught in a torrential downpour. Ireland was a more misty rain when it did happen. Boots are too much to pack as well.

Posted by
8660 posts

Really?

Running shoes because you intend to run?

If yes then fine. If no then find some comfortable shoes to wear.

In my November and December trips to the Emerald Isle I wore Keen Targhee II waterproof hiking shoes and Keen Kaci Full Grain Slip Ons. Hiked and strolled. One thing about this brand of shoes, not cheap but for me worth every penny because of the comfort, durability and weight.

Oh and it rained very infrequently with more sunny days than grey.

Enjoy your two weeks on the island.

Posted by
12172 posts

Ideally anything that's comfortable for walking long distances as well as being resistant to water. They don't have to be completely water proof. I have waterproof (men's) ecco dress shoes that are comfortable for walking and fully water proof. I'm planning on a trip in May and will likely bring something a little more casual and a little less water proof. Running shoes probably are too easy to soak your feet in. The boots are probably going to have you plodding around in uncomfortable shoes while your feet sweat puddles inside. Try to find something in the middle of those two. Some traction on the bottom is never a bad idea but they don't have to be climbing boots. Add some decent wool blend socks that will keep you warm and blister free even if they get a little wet.

Posted by
138 posts

We were there last October and had about half rainy days and half sunny days. My husband and I both took our running shoes and our waterproof shoes and it was perfect for our trip. Several days it poured down rain and we were glad to have the waterproof shoes. We didn't have tall boots though. They would take up too much luggage space. I hope you have an awesome time!