Please sign in to post.

Shannon to Galway

A quick tip needed. Driving from Dingle in August, we will return our rental car at the Shannon Airport. Looks like a 2hr 30 min drive, plus we will make a lunch stop in Limerick. After securing the car around 2:00 PM, we will travel to Galway. While we prefer train travel, it appears we might be redirected to take a bus. Rome2Rio shows one available every 10 minutes, for $13-$18, with a 1hr 50min ride duration. Is this as convenient as it suggests? Do we need to make prior arrangement (perhaps we could purchase our tickets the day we arrive in Shannon, 8 days earlier). Thank you for suggestions.

Posted by
1878 posts

My wife and I took the Shannon to Galway bus upon arrival on our 2015 trip and it worked great. Also took it for the return two days later. I don't think you can reserve a seat anyway, so no need to buy in advance. You might save a little but buses are pretty economical anyway.

Posted by
359 posts

Also the buses are very comfortable and reliable. I LOATHE bus travel of any kind in the US......but riding a bus in Ireland we have found convenient, comfortable and a word I'd never thought I'd use in conjunction with the word bus........fun.

Posted by
10 posts

I took that route last month and it's definitely convenient. It's not a particularly scenic route, but the bus was nice and it drops you off right next to Eyre Square in the middle of Galway.