Please sign in to post.

Shannon to Dingle

Trying to get an itinerary going. Need some insight!

Flying into Shannon and will rent a car. Planning on heading to Dingle.
If arriving early enough, should I:
1. Drive straight to Dingle? Realistically, how long would it take if I didn't stop along the way?
2. If I don't drive straight through, are there recommendations on stops along the way with a one night stay?
3. Suggestions on places to stay on our route to Dingle?
4. Any other suggestions???!!!

If we do stay overnight, looking for either: glamping, hostel, or bed and breakfast.

Thanks everyone!

Posted by
511 posts

Natalie,

I've only bicycled around Ireland, including Shannon to Dingle in two days, so I'd estimate you could drive it in a day or less. Ireland is a small country with an extensive network of roads, making it easy and quick to get around.

There are also some 2,500 B&Bs in Ireland, and in nine trips all over the North and the Republic, I've come across only one tiny village without any accommodations. Even in the high season, we've had virtually no problem finding a place to sleep for the night. Do some research and make your pick.

In Dingle Town, I recommend Kirrary House B&B, right in the center of town, yet in a quiet location. Eileen and Tim Collins run an exceptionally clean and friendly place (just like 99.9% of the Irish B&Bs in which we've stayed). Check it out here: collinskirrary.com. Tim is a local historian and has been a resource for Rick's Ireland video.

Slainte!

Posted by
409 posts

Natalie -

Dingle town is an easy drive from the airport - about 3 hours or so. If you want to enjoy the drive, I suggest going over the Shannon River on the Ferry instead of taking the highway. A bit longer, but a fun way to see the famous river and to enjoy the less traveled scenery and route. If you do that route, you'll pass through Listowell. A nice town with a fantastic town square - pretty buildings, a museum of Irish Literature (tiny) and the Listowell Arms Hotel - you must stop in for tea to see this lovely old-style hotel!

When you're in Dingle, do consider Milltown House Dingle B&B - it's run by a Rick Steves guide, and it's been profiled on Irish tv. A very cool place.

There is at least one hostel in Dingle, if that grabs you. Just remember, Dingle town is only part way to the end of the peninsula - many tourists miss some lovely parts as they go to Dingle and that's it. Explore!

Also - book rooms and hostels via phone rather than on line and you can often get lower rates - since you won't have to include the web-sites commission.

Susan
Waterville, Ring of Kerry.