Please sign in to post.

Shannon to Dingle

Traveling to Ireland in mid August- we are looking into taking the red eye to arrive at Shannon airport at 8am on a Sunday morning. We'd like to make our way to Dingle, however debating if we really want to do the 2.5 hour drive after a red eye. Is it an easy drive? Any recommendations on places to stop in between (for lunch, rest, site see)? Would you recommend staying somewhere for 1 night in between Dingle and Shannon- I'd rather not, but I'm curious. We only have a week so trying to make the most of our time- overall plan as of now is Dingle for 3 days, 2 days in Kilkenny and then 2 days in Dublin.

Posted by
398 posts

I would say it is an easy drive until you get just past Tralee. Then the road becomes much narrower, windier, etc. It is a truly beautiful drive, whether you stay on the N-86 or go through Connor's Pass (this is an even more challenging drive - I would recommend the N-86 if you are nervous about driving). I would strongly recommend just taking your time (you are going to have to go slowly, and it is going to take you longer than 2.5 hours, regardless of what Google Maps tells you). Plan on 3.5, maybe 4 hours. I don't have any specific suggestions on where to stop along the way if you are so inclined, but you will pass through many towns and villages on your way from the airport, and Tralee is a pretty big town.

I would not recommend staying anywhere in between Dingle and Shannon. Just take your time and get out there. Even with a stop for lunch, you'll be there by mid-afternoon. And it will be well worth it. Dingle is awesome.

Posted by
552 posts

I'd probably stop in Adare (see Ogham Stones at the Manor House, thatched roofs, castle ruins, 'tidy town' charm) at about a third of the way there and call it breakfast.

Posted by
2261 posts

As Steve says, it is a really great drive, however it's a drive that took all of my focus and attention. We stopped several times-it would be a shame not to-and did go the Conor Pass route. There was a thread recently which talked about jet lag effects or non effects on different people. I'll speak for myself and say that there is NO WAY I could have done that drive anything near safely after arriving that morning from an overnight flight. If you know through experience that it won't be a problem, as some do report, then have at it; not me though.

Plus, if you did take the easier route as insurance, you'd miss Conor Pass.

Posted by
2361 posts

We have done this several times, once stopping in Adare, a lovely town where we stopped and had tea, little shopping and then once in Tralee for,lunch and drove over Connor Pass both times and had no problem. I think we arrived at our B&B by two PM. Once my sister was driving and the last time my son was driving and we had no problems. However, we luckily don't suffer from any jet lag, so far anyway.