Please sign in to post.

Shannon to Cork

Hello-
My husband and I are starting our trip in Shannon (arriving mid-morning) with our first stop being Cork. This is non-negotiable since we have an appointment to tend to in Cork the day after we arrive. We plan on driving from Shannon to Cork which looks to be about a 2.5 hour drive. Which stops could we make on the drive to break it up a bit and see some sites as we begin our trip down south. Or would it be best to just arrive in Cork if there isn't many noteworthy stops and explore Cork on our first day. Since its our first day I realize we'll be tired from the flight so we will want to take it easy a bit but also need to stay up to get the jet lag out of our system.

Thanks for your help!

Posted by
552 posts

The town of Adare makes a nice stop. It is a little way off the N20, the main road running straight south from Limerick to Cork. And it's not even one-quarter of the journey before you'd make a stop. But it's one of the most picturesque areas you'll find along the way. (Look for the Ogham Stones, under the trees behind the golf shop and cafe, on the grounds of the Adare Manor!)

Just about a year ago, we did that same drive. It was nice to load up on caffeine early in the trip, before getting into the line of trucks heading for Cork...

Posted by
1878 posts

There are noteworthy stops (so much of what's great in Ireland is what's in between), but I recommend looking into catching a bus directly to Cork. I have driven right after arrival before, but Ireland is not a country where I would do that. You would also save a days car rental. Or you could fly to Cork but I suspect you might pay a lot more. Rental car selection is tricky, you'd do great at Shannon, probably fine if you picked up at Cork airport, Cork city the election might not be that great. Another thing to consider airport surcharges and drop fees. There are pros and cons either way, but for me an active day of sightseeing right after arrival would be a con in itself.

Posted by
9363 posts

Unlike VS, I have several times rented a car on arrival in Ireland and driven the first day, and I did fine. On one trip, when I was driving from Shannon to Blarney on the first day, I stopped at the Donkey Sanctuary in Liscarroll. It's just off the main road between Shannon and Blarney (don't have a map in front of me right now to find the route number). You turn off at a town called Buttevant and follow the signs. The sanctuary overlooks a 12th century castle ruin, too. It is free to visit, and you can walk around in the fresh air and see all of the donkeys. We really enjoyed it.