Please sign in to post.

Shannon Airport vs. Dublin Airport and what airline is best for Business Class?

I am planning a trip to Dingle Peninsula and NW and N part of the island this Sept.
I think it makes sense to go in and out of Shannon Airport and pick up and drop off my rental car there.
I don't know which airline is best for Business Class. I went to Ireland 2 years ago on US Airways and they had delays and bumped me off Business seating on the way home (very small refund compaired to ticket price).

Any advice?

Posted by
398 posts

You'll have more airlines to choose from if you fly to Dublin. From the US, the only airlines with flights to Shannon are Aer Lingus, Delta (summer from JFK only), United (Newark, and O'Hare summer only), and US Airways (Philadelphia, summer only). Dublin has several more options. Neither airport is large or especially slow/problematic. Shannon would most likely be easier if your itinerary is all on the west coast of Ireland (especially Dingle). Although if you are planning to spend time in Galway or Donegal, the time savings is negligible.

Posted by
337 posts

The last time we flew business class on Aer Lingus (2010), they did not have lie-flat seats. So check into that if you want/need a solid night's sleep on the way over. Flying from the west coast, I would choose the airline that has a nonstop, if possible. Connecting in NYC or Boston gives you only 5 hours overnight, which won't leave you rested when you arrive in Ireland. To my thinking, business class is worth it if you can get a decent night's sleep on the way over.

Have fun!

Posted by
2359 posts

We flew United business class into and out of Shannon October 2013 from Newark and it was fantastic, seats fully reclined, best business class we have had.