Please sign in to post.

Rock of Cashel ?

Do any of you know whether the restoration scaffolding is gone by now?

Posted by
317 posts

Jack, I hope you are sitting down....

I can hereby confirm the the scaffolding that has blighted all visitors photos for the last 5 years ....
is...
still there!! :(

I saw it with my very own Irish eyes a week ago.
A petition has been circulated in the village to have it removed. They should put it online, it would get millions of signatures.

le meas/with respect
Stephen McPhilemy
Rick Steves Ireland Tour-Guide
Dingle & Derry

Posted by
35 posts

Despite the very disappointing news, thank you very much, Stephen.

Posted by
346 posts

For the last 20 years, our trip photos have been dominated by scaffolding-Notre Dame, Hagia Sophia, Royal Palace in Bangkok,etc. It would seem really weird to visit a World Heritage site and find that it only contained the buildings. Maybe it will be gone by fall and we'll be surprised?

Posted by
4870 posts

Scaffolding at iconic sights in Europe is nothing new. It was a common sight when living there in the mid 60's, and there hasn't been a trip back since that we didn't encounter it. If it were not for the scaffolding (ugly though it might be) many of the places we love to visit would have fallen down a long, long time ago. Guess it's like in-laws -- you don't have to like them -- just tolerate them.

Posted by
35 posts

I, too, have seen restoration scaffolding at many other important European sites. However, typically its duration is a year plus or minus some months. I believe the Rock of Cashel scaffolding has now been up for many years. I suppose none of the craftsmen are complaining, eh? :)

Posted by
317 posts

Im biting my tongue here Jack and need to remain diplomatic... but seriously, Colonel Gadaffi was safely on his throne in Libya in the days when I looked at this scaffolding at Cashel and wondered 'surely it cant stay up for many more years'... Even the Queen of England got to see the scaffolding in 2011. Hmmmm....,