Please sign in to post.

Rock of Cashel 100 Yard Uphill Trek?

Hi, taking my 84 year old mother to Ireland early September. She loves history, cathedrals and castles so was planning to take her to the Rock of Cashel - but read in Rick's book that it is a "steep 100 yard walk up" to the Castle area. Uphill can mean a lot of things! I have walked up to the Cliffs of Moher and plan to take mom there as I believe she can make that uphill climb, if we take it slow.
Would someone who has done both (walk up to the Cliffs of Moher and walk up to the Rock of Cashel) provide me with advice on the relative sameness?
Thanks!

Posted by
4 posts

You can actually drive up most of the way, drop her off with company, drive back down and park, then walk up

Posted by
3519 posts

Cliffs = longer distance with about an easy 300 ft rise along the way. Not a difficult hike, but the path we took was not paved and was more of a jeep path.

Cashel = shorter distance, but much steeper climb. Most of the walkways around Cashel, when I went anyway, are nicely paved and a fairly easy walk as long as you can handle a rapid rise.

This is from someone who has difficulty in walking uphill when it is very steep.

Posted by
25 posts

Cliffs of Moher isn't too steep, some stairs but you can take your time. Be aware it may be extremely windy which made balancing a little difficult at times. Rock of Cashel is a much steeper hike uphill but shorter in length. Both places were spectacular, enjoy your trip!

Posted by
26 posts

Just came back from Ireland and at Rock of Cashel found that you can park for free in town shopping lot but this is a WALK. Rock parking lot I found only after going around the area a few times because I could not believe GPS that sent me through a block of what appeared to be residential terraced homes. Of course that was the way to go. Parking is not well signed. Puzzling. I am 70 and from Rock lot it is an easy walk up for me, unlike Tintagel castle in England purported home of King Arthur and knights. That was a real challenge. Pay attention to bathroom info in Ricks book on this matter. Barbara Hill

Posted by
18 posts

Thanks so much Philip, Mark, Rebecca and Barbara! Exactly the advice and reminders that we needed!