Please sign in to post.

Ring of Kerry

If we are driving from Kenmare must we drive all the way around or is there a point we must see and then return?

Posted by
72 posts

You can drive the ROK in a complete circle, starting and ending in Kenmare. What we have done in the past is drive from Kenmare along the southern coast then around to Killorglin, where you can come south through the MacGillycuddy Reeks and the Ballaghbeama Gap. The gap is the one of the most desolate places we have seen, eerily beautiful. This route would cut out Killarney. Not sure if this is your objective.

Posted by
87 posts

How long is your trip compared to all the way around? Thanks

Posted by
72 posts

It is probably about the same time because of the type of roads you would be taking through the gap. Is your goal to save time? I thought perhaps you were trying to avoid Killarney since you might have planned to spend some time there another day.

Posted by
409 posts

I drove through that gap this week - it was rainy and foggy and I know the road. It took a long time because it's so windy and it's one lane! So if speed is your thing, I'd say to the RoK loop itself!

The Ring of Kerry is much longer that the Dingle Peninsula loop and yet many people try to push it into one day. It really isn't a one day drive. Lonely Planet has it as a 4 day drive! Don't rush it or you'll just be frustrated!

What do you like to do? Can you shorten another city? Do you prefer views? walking? the sea? the moutains??

Susan
Expat living in Waterville