Please sign in to post.

Ring of Kerry

I would love some feedback on the best way to drive The Ring of Kerry. Guides books give conflicting advice. Clockwise or counterclockwise? Advantages and disadvantages? Absolute musts or don't bothers along the way?

Thanks,
Joanna

Posted by
1172 posts

We really enjoyed it. We did clockwise. Loved stopping in little towns along the way. We had a picnic lunch on the beach at Derrynane. So many gorgeous photo op spots and they are all really well marked
We got an early start and did not have trouble getting it done. We were there in July too at the height of tourist season

I highly recommend

Posted by
2829 posts

The direction of travel is less important than the advisability of getting an early start. Even in April (when your other post indicated you'd be traveling) you'll have to deal with the tour buses departing out of Killarney around 9:30 or thereabouts. The earlier you can get on the road the more pleasant your experience will be.
We highly recommend the Gap of Dunloe - one of the prettiest glens in Ireland. Even a short walk from the parking area at Kate Kearney's Cottage would provide some terrific photo ops, and if you just want to settle back, relax, and let someone else do the driving you could hire one of the jaunting cars to travel up to the head of the glen and back (7 miles round trip). Corny - yes, touristy- absolutely, but still one of those once-in-a-lifetime chances to do something you'll never get to do anywhere else. As before, get there early: the parking lot starts to fill up around 10 when the first of the tour buses start to arrive.
For an off-the-beaten path excursion take the Skellig ring road - sort of a ROK drive in miniature...where you can visit the ruins of an old castle and abbey near the village Ballinskelligs without the usual tourist hordes. The tour buses don't go out there so it's a pretty mellow experience as compared to the ROK. There are also picture postcard views of the Skelligs from a couple of viewpoints along the way, and the Skellig Center at Portmagee is worth a stop. Can also catch a boat ride from there out to the islands if you want to tap into your inner Luke Skywalker.
Since you'll be in Ireland for several weeks, and have indicated per your other post that you're interested in other off-the-beaten path excursions, you might pick up a copy of "Back Roads Ireland" - it's the only pub we take with us aside from the RS guide. It's chock full of day trips exploring some of the roads less traveled around Ireland. Have seen used ones on Amazon for a few dollars.
Safe Travels.

Posted by
8682 posts

Another thumbs up for the Gap of Dunloe.

Was there in November of last year. Walked half of it then returned to my car parked by the closed Kate's cottage and drove its entirety.

Best day ever in my two trips to Ireland. Loved the solitude. Loved the contrast between the looming dark grey rain clouds and the golden hues of the hillsides as the sun broke through. Even enjoyed some vibrant blue skies as the weather pattern changed from hour to hour.

As a photographer and nature lover it was blissful.

Maybe 7 vehicles, a few humans: a bicyclist who rode the entire gap, 2 rock climbers, 4 hikers, and a couple in a trap ( translation: a trap is a horse cart and the locals offer rides). Countless sheep.

The road is very narrow and at points winds through outcroppings of rocks. I've driven around Eire and NI twice, thus used to being on the left on small wee roads.

Others may find it daunting.

Definitely worth seeing no matter how you choose to explore it.