Please sign in to post.

Rick Steves' Ireland 2019 book - can't find Cork?

There was a copy of the 2016 Rick Steves book in the first place we stayed at in Dublin last week and we found it useful so bought a 2019 copy for ourselves. It has been very helpful for our base in Galway and Ennis. I am trying to plan ahead for our final stop in Cork but can't find any details on Cork City in the book. The index at the back lists County Cork on Pages 189-216 but that chapter is titled Kinsale and Cobh and that is all it covers, nothing on Cork City at all. Am I missing something - surely there has to be something about Ireland's second city?

Posted by
8346 posts

Actually, no, there doesn't have to be. Rick Steves travel guides cover what places Rick is interested in and thinks that you should be interested in. As you have noted, if the area you want is in the book, there is great information.

Do you have an Amazon account? Kindle? There are some tour books that are available for free download that might cover the areas you are intersted in.

Posted by
7025 posts

We stayed in Cork and visited Cobh as a day trip. Cork is a big busy city but it was nice and since you're there now it will be light late into the evening so you can just walk around the downtown area. I remember we saw some street artists working on a huge mandala on one of the sidewalks and there were some street musicians. Mostly what I remember is visiting the cathedral for Sunday morning service and the market.

Posted by
10344 posts

Rick's books are not intended to be comprehensive and list every single thing, different from some guidebooks.

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you all, hadn't realised that was how it worked as all the travel guides I have had before have just covered everything. I do have plans to visit Cobh and to visit the English Market (how could I not?) and have picked up on Carol's excellent suggestion of finding guide books on Amazon Kindle as I am currently enjoying a 3-month trial membership of Kindle Unlimited.