Please sign in to post.

Renting a car to drive Dublin to Wicklow

On my last trip to Ireland I nearly had a mental and physical breakdown driving in Dublin with a stick shift and driving on the left. I was fine out in the country, so i would like to rent a car on my way out of Dublin, heading to Wicklow and then on to Galway. Can you suggest a reasonably priced rent a car closet to the M50 on my way out of town. Also suggestions on insurance!

Posted by
1646 posts

Answering this one, you have two with the same subject. Best get rid of the other.

Switching sides of the road can be uncomfortable or worse. There is a thread on Rick Steves of me asking about availability of manuals in Canada. I prefer manuals. Automatics are the work of Be'elzebub. My opinion only!

If you do not drive a real, err manual, car, demand an auto box. Make it easier for you.

I cannot quote Ireland, but 80% of UK cars are manual. In the USA over 95% are automatics. If you do not book an auto, you will get a manual.

Posted by
446 posts

We rented at the airport but dropped off on the north edge of Dublin. I would assume that you could pick up there as well. About a 10 minute taxi ride from the center of town.

Posted by
3 posts

Except that Wicklow is south of Dublin, so I would need to find a place close to the edge of the city on the south side. The airport is south I believe, too, but still a congested area. I am cool on the country roads, just realize that I have to hug the side tight when a car comes from the other direction! (And hold my breath!)