Please sign in to post.

Rental Car

I booked a car with AAA and they use Auto Europe. I am seeing someone in the group is having a horrible experience with Auto Europe. My other option I had booked was with Hertz direct. And I was going to pay for insurance at the counter. I am heading to Dublin in less than 2 weeks. Any rental car tips would be appreciated. I don't want to get stuck in a fight with companies over insurance.

Posted by
2324 posts

If you know you are going to want the insurance, book it at the time you reserve the car. It will be one of the options.

We have used Auto Europe at least 4 times. The last time, we got a van via Hertz through them. Ended up with a scratch on the running boards. Didn’t pay a cent because we had the zero deductible insurance. They take extensive pictures of the vehicles so they know exactly what damage exists with each rental.

Posted by
569 posts

I have used AutoEurope for years, including bookings in France, the Netherlands, Germany, Ireland and the UK. I have never had a problem with AutoEurope. My 2019 booking in Ireland was with Alamo and it was exactly what I expected. They did not try to up sell me additional insurance and were friendly and helpful both at pickup and drop off at Dublin airport.
I used AutoEurope because their prices and terms were more favorable than booking directly with the car company. For example, they cap the additional driver fee at 10 days; on a 30 day rental that adds up.
I used the AutoEurope.ie website. For some reason, the prices are generally better than using AutoEurope.com. The price will be in Euros.

Posted by
10227 posts

I’ve used AutoEurope many times since 2006, including twice in Ireland. I’ve never had a problem with them. Last year I got a car in Ireland and got the full coverage insurance. I had an incident and had to replace a tire, which was my fault. When I returned the car I asked to be reimbursed, but was told there’s a separate policy for tires and glass. I didn’t stress over it.