Please sign in to post.

"Real" B&B suggestions for north Dublin area

I've searched and searched and it seems that most B&B's in Ireland are regular homes just turned into hotels. I'm looking for a B&B that doesn't have that hotel feel. A place with antiques and such. And a good Irish breakfast. We're finishing our 10 stay in Dublin for three nights and am trying to find something in good proximity to the airport and the city. Any suggestions would certainly help. Thanks in advance!

Posted by
2261 posts

Tinode House, north of the heart of the city, a great place, we loved it. Great conversations, nice clean rooms in a lovely house, excellent breakfast. PJ knows everything about Dublin transport. Cash only but that's no big deal imho.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g186605-d263269-Reviews-Tinode_House-Dublin_County_Dublin.html

Note comment in TA review: "On our last day, we easily took the bus (with our 2 luggages) from across the road to get to airport."
Of course, you could also taxi.

note: post moved from Ireland Reviews post

I think you need to search for "boutique hotels."

B&B - certainly in Ireland and the UK - is often what you've found: ordinary houses turned into small hotels, comfortable but not luxurious or stylish, with breakfast. Nothing like what Americans describe as B&B.

Posted by
8293 posts

The OP's post reminds me of our stays in just the kind of B&B he's looking for, but in Scotland, not Ireland. In one we had to walk down a steep staircase to use the bathroom, not easy in the middle of the night in a strange house. In another the house cat, a huge white angora, preferred our room to any in the house, so was always finding ways to visit. I love cats so didn't mind but visitors with allergies would certainly object. All this to say that you really, really are staying someone's house in this kind of B&B, not a house pretending to be a hotel.

Posted by
12 posts

Steve,

Tinode House is wonderful as is San Juan B&B. Both have wonderful breakfasts and fantastic hosts! Very convenient to airport as well!

Posted by
12 posts

Tinode House is wonderful as is San Juan B&B. Both have wonderful breakfasts and fantastic hosts! Very convenient to airport as well!

Posted by
272 posts

We stayed here in 2013. Wonderful owners and breakfast. Relaxing room and easy walk to St Stephen's Green and Parliament Square. Highly recommend! http://www.number31.ie/en/