Please sign in to post.

Public transportation

Can anyone help me? In May 2017, I'll be renting a house in Limerick as well as renting a car. I would like to do a day trip to Dublin, but NOT drive in Dublin City - - - I've seen them - - they're crazy - - combined with driving on the other side of the road, it's not something I feel comfortable doing. Is there somewhere outside of the city where I could park and take a bus/train/light rail into the city ? Also, if I run late leaving the city, how well lit are the roads getting back to Limerick ? I will have a GPS. Thanks!

Posted by
2827 posts

Am sure there are a variety of places near Dublin to do it as you describe, but have you considered driving to Limerick Junction from your rental and then just taking the train directly into Dublin Heuston Station, from where you can walk into the city center? Heuston station is located just across the Liffey from Phoenix Park, and quite close to the Guiness Storehouse, so you're really not that far from the center of things, especially if you're a walker. Both places are stops along the HoHo bus route, too, if you're thinking of doing that.
That way would be much more relaxing that driving it yourself and, after you factor in gas, parking, etc. it will probably be a wash in terms of cost. Per the Irish Rail website http://www.irishrail.ie/ it's a direct shot and takes about an hour and a half each way...leaving you with plenty of time for a day exploring the city. Just a thought.