Please sign in to post.

public transport and car rental combo

Greetings from Canada three gals on our way in September and we are flying in and out of Dublin. We were planning 2 days in Dublin then heading west towards Limerick via rail. We had hoped to do a couple of tours using Limerick as a home base for two days then heading to Galway for 2 days via rail. We were hoping to rent a car on leaving Galway and heading North. We were considering this in order to save on the cost and trouble of a car for the first week but I don't want to lose out on precious travel time or have the hassle of trying to find connections. Limerick seems to be a good base and we realize that using the rail will have us miss southeast Ireland Cork and possibly Dingle because of time but we are hoping renting a car the second week for the Northwest coast will make up for that. I would love some input from fellow travelers
Thanks Caroline

Posted by
8647 posts

Here's my input. The rail system in Ireland is slow and in my one time experience inefficient.

Following your two days in Dublin bus back to the airport. Get a rental car and drive. Its the best way to truly see the island. Cost split between the three of you should be affordable.

I've driven the entire island twice, solo. Once with a clutch in 1997 and with an automatic two years ago. I was comfortable in both but would advise that you 3 get the automatic. Oh and I was born when Truman was in office and other than taking a few travels around my first roundabout quickly adapted to driving on the "other" side of the road. Honestly, it isn't that difficult and having a car enables you to see so much more of that beautiful country.

Why Limerick.? Nothing special about it and choosing to miss the Dingle and the West Coast is absurd. Sorry but the West Coast of Ireland is spectacular and shouldn't be missed.

Possible Itinerary:
2 nights Dublin

Day 3
Early leave, bus to airport pick up rental, off to Glendalough. From there to Rock of Cashel. Lunch.
Drive to Kinsale or Cork depending on you desire of a large city or smaller town. Overnight

Day 4
From cork or Kinsale to Dingle.
Stop in Killarney to stroll thru the stunning National Park.
From there visit the Gap of Dunloe then Drive to your Accomodation in Dingle
2 nights Dingle
Drive Slea Head and enjoy its breath taking beauty. Visit Tralee.
Day 6
Off to Galway. stopping in Limerick. Then do whatever it is you thought you do when you wanted to rent your car Galway.

That's my take on how to properly experience Ireland. Oh and if you have the opportunity read the RS Guide on Ireland and NI. Information contained with in its pages would be helpful to you in your route planning.