Please sign in to post.

Power Strips

I saw this following suggestion on Pinterest and wondered if anyone has tried this suggestion:

Pack a power strip to plug-in all of your electronics without needing an adapter for each one.

Wondering if with an adapter the outlets in Ireland would be able to safely handle a 3-pronged power strip with numerous electronics plugged into it?

Thanks,
Barbara

Posted by
11127 posts

I use a Monster plug, not a power strip, to do this. Mine has four outlets. Got it on Amazon and have used it worldwide.

Posted by
2368 posts

I have a Monster plug, too, but I think they must be discontinued.
An American extension cord does work, too, I've been assured by somebody who knows electricity, but I had already bought a 3 meter one in Europe, and use that.

A power strip would have to be the kind without surge protection.

Posted by
10203 posts

Cill, I just bought the same one. I'll be taking it on my trip to Germany and France in a few weeks. I'm happy to hear it worked well. In the past I've taken a cube type thing that you can plug several things into. Only one adapter is needed. Don't bring something with a surge protector.

Posted by
154 posts

Thanks for the information. I followed the link from Cill and the one she bought has a surge protector according to the description. So, I am wondering buy one with a surge protector or one without?
Barbara
Monster Plug still for sale on Amazon but used not new.

Posted by
10203 posts

I just looked at Cill's link again and noticed that it has a surge protector. It looks like the one I ordered. I'm out of town now, so I'll check it when I get home. I have been told not to use a surge protector in Europe.

Posted by
7511 posts

The issue with the Surge Protection is dependent on the type of surge protection. Some protection is only intended to work with 110V, so you plug it into 240V...Not good.

The link to the power strip above specifically notes that it works with a 110V/240V input.

Another option would be this... https://www.amazon.com/NTONPOWER-Outlets-Universal-Adapter-Smartphone/dp/B01M613ODU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1526476351&sr=8-3&keywords=power+strip+european+plug A couple bucks more, but you get multiple plug adapters (Euro, UK, as well a couple you may never use)

Posted by
2 posts

Monster has a long history of identifying scams. Then selling an equivalent product for much higher prices. For example, Monster marked speaker wire with end marked "Speaker" and "Amplifier". Monster said if the speaker end was connected to an amp, then music would be subverted. Many did that and said they could hear a difference. Scams are that easily promoted.

Then Monster sold that $7 speaker wire for $70. Many again knew it must be better because it was more expensive.

Monster sells protectors that are electrically equivalent to other plug-in protectors. None claim to protect from potentially destructive surges. Protection inside appliance is always superior to that protection. Do Monster also sold them - sometimes for $85 and $100.

Anyone can read specification numbers. Surge that can overwhelm better protection inside electronics must be tens or hundreds of thousands of joules. How many joules does that protector claim to absorb? Hundreds? Anybody suspect a scam yet?

Normally a thermal fuse disconnects protector parts as fast as possible to avert fire. And leaves that surge connected to attached appliances. A surge too tiny to damage electronics can also destroy that near zero protector. Grossly undersizing its joules means the naive will recommend it and buy more.

Sometimes that thermal fuse does not disconnect fast enough. These events have been too common: http://imgur.com/hwCWHMW

APC recently admitted some 15 million protectors must be removed immediately due to so many house fires. APC is a more honest company. Others (ie Monster) have same internal circuits. But will not admit to this problem.

If found in your luggage, that protector may be confiscated by a cruise ship. They take fire that seriously. Best is an adaptor without protector parts - that can even compromise (bypass) what is better protection inside appliances.

How many joules does that Monster claim to absorb? This is technology. If numbers are not provided, then one should always suspect a lie or scam. In this case, fire is another problem.

Posted by
1152 posts

As a smaller, lighter alternative to a power strip, I sometimes take a power tap - one of those plastic things that converts a single outlet to three. My tap is a cube that has space for a plug on each side so larger power plugs don't bump or block their neighbor. Example

Posted by
25 posts

Thanks for this thread! A power strip is a great idea and I've just ordered one. We bring so many of the single adapters for our various devices and I'm always nervous that we'll forget to grab them all when we leave a hotel.

Posted by
2710 posts

Why can’t the ubs adapter(s) be plugged into an extension cord? A Euro or UK plug adapter can be added to the extension cord. Is there something with this scenario that I might be missing?

Posted by
489 posts

We had the same power strip as Citi recommended for the last 2 long trips to Europe. No problems in Bulgaria, Romania, Bosnia or Germany. Then on this trip worked well in Portugal and Spain. However, in Lourdes, France we went to plug it in (nothing plugged into it yet and we blew the breaker in the hotel. We have another one and I purchased one each for my adult kids.
It worked for us, but throw in an extra converter.
Taking it this fall to Ireland and Scotland.

Posted by
154 posts

Thanks for the recommendations and I went ahead and bought the model Cill suggested. I will take an extra adapter plug as was also suggested. In regards to using an extension cord I really do not know if that would work in Ireland. Perhaps, someone with more knowledge about that could answer your question. Thanks again!