Please sign in to post.

Planning a trip to Ireland May 2025, I've never been out of the US and need some guidance.

I've never traveled outside of the US and I'm planning a surprise trip to Ireland for my husband. I've asked some friends to join us and thought using a travel agency would ensure a well-organized trip so that we can see all the sights. Has anyone used the travel agency Overland Ireland and taken the Ultimate Ireland 10 Day Tour Package? If anyone's had a wonderful experience with other travel agencies with a focus on Ireland, please share.

Posted by
160 posts

My wife and I took the RS tour of Ireland it was beyond awesome. Stephen McPhilemy is the best tour guide in the history of tour guides according to all the official rankings (after a pint of Guinness or two... Seriously, unbelievable good.) We then took a 2nd tour of Northern Ireland using the same Rick Steves guide (McPhilemy!) in a company called Essential Ireland. On these forums, I have heard folks rave about Rabbies (sp?) tours. We have used Tauck for tours (South America, Portugal and Spain) and been happy with them. We used Kensginston tours and they were good.

Also there have been positive comments about Roads scholar and OAT tours. Unfortunately I don't know about Overland so I cannot be of help there.

Good luck!

Posted by
4840 posts

Not familar with Overland Ireland and / ot the Ultimate Ireland 10 Day Tour. However, if you are looking for a trip where someone else does most of the planning and handling of logistics, then seriously consider the Rick Steves' tour. About the only thing they don't do for you is arrange the flights to and from. We've taken a number of his tours, including Ireland, and highly recommend them. Don't think you can go wrong with his tour.

Since this will be your first trip out of the U.S., feel free to pick the brains of the people on the forum. They have a wealth of knowledge and will be happy to share.

Posted by
6788 posts

Cant help you with travel agencies (be aware: it's a vanishing business, so you may be challenged to find one that works well for you) nor with an organized tour (there are plenty of options for that, including the hosts of this very website - look here).

But first thing I would suggest you do is make sure everyone has a current passport (and check expiration dates). It can take a surprisingly long time to get or renew a passport. Don't wait on this.

Ireland is a wonderful destination, and makes a great choice for your first European trip. You'll love it.