Please sign in to post.

planning a trip

Hello, My sister and I are starting to plan a trip to Ireland for Sept. 2019. We both have never planned anything like this before. I am totally confused and not sure where to even start. I see there are a lot of cheap tour options out there and we are on a budget. But I am not sure if that is the way to go. We both want to see the county side and would like to drive. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thank You !

Posted by
6788 posts

Fortunately, you have enough time to do this. Start by learning about what's there, what interests you.

Many of us enjoy traveling independently most. Others enjoy a tour. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Get a good guidebook for Ireland (hint, can you guess any that might be recommended?). Read it. Watch Rick's videos on Ireland and any others you come across (many are widely available), ask yourself what you specific interests are. Start looking now at what your flight options are (but don't book anything yet, until you get a feel for prices, options and other variables) and watch prices/trends over time as they go up and down (so you know what a reasonable price looks like).

Start studying and learning about the various "travel skills" that you will need to have a great trip. Rick has a series of videos on this subject that run frequently on PBS, also available on the web - they're extremely helpful. Get his classic book "Europe Through The Back Door" and read it now (may be available at your library) - it's not about a specific place, it's about how to travel in Europe independently with success - exactly the kind of info you need. You don't say your location, but if within easy driving distance of the Seattle area, there are free "classes" (really, there's no work required, they're simple presentations, about 60-90 minutes) at the Rick Steves HQ in Edmonds, WA - check the schedule here. No homework assigned, come, listen, learn, free (sign up first). I see the class on Ireland is coming up end of March.

Visit this forum frequently, read all the posts you can (you will learn something each time).

Look at Rick's suggested itineraries - they're listed in the Ireland books - and check out the section on Ireland (click on "Explore Europe" at upper left then "Ireland" - follow every link and you will learn a LOT.

That should get you started. Enjoy the learning and planning process - it's part of what goes in to having a great trip.

Posted by
359 posts

What a great post by David. Treat it as gospel. Wish we had before our first trip there. Just one note of caution avoid one night stays and racing around the country trying to see everything. You can't and trying really hurts the experience......that was our mistake. Listen to David's advice and then based on the time you have pick out a couple/few areas to visit and explore that area. Ireland is rich with magical wonderful spots.......no need to drive 7 hours to get to a sight when there are many things.....probably more interesting things......right at hand. When you narrow things down and get a rough idea of an itinerary post back here and consider the excellent advice you'll get from folks like David ! Just remember....in Ireland the experience is what matters not filling an itinerary.......less is more.....the magic is hard to miss unless you are always in a car and racing around the island !! You'll have a great time ! It's pure magic !