Please sign in to post.

One Day in Dublin

Yes, you read that correctly. My husband and I are taking a British Isles cruise next summer and will have 1 day in Dublin.

Technically from 7-5. That's it.

I'm just now beginning to put together some sort of skeleton plan for how we should spend our precious time there. Here's some background info:

Just hubby and me, both are mid-40's (I'll actually be in Dublin for my birthday!) and both fairly active/in good shape. We've been to Europe several times but first time to Ireland (Northern and Republic of -- we'll hit Londonderry/Derry the next day). We both like history. And pubs. We're not afraid of walking and like to DIY it when we visit some place old/new.

I'm figuring we have enough time to explore 2 sights and hit a pub for lunch, also a bit of walking around taking pictures.

Any advice, info, your "must-dos" or "just skip its" would be appreciated. This board and Rick Steves (I have both the Dublin and Northern Ireland Snapshot books) haven't steered me wrong yet. Thanks!!

Kristen

Oh, and best place to buy a sweater and Waterford that would be close to the major sights??

Posted by
9363 posts

There is a Blarney Woollen Mills store on Nassau St, just off of Grafton St, near Trinity College. They have not only woolens, but gifts and such, including Beleek and Waterford pieces. You won't find any bargains, though. Unless you are a particular fan of ancient illuminated manuscripts, I would skip the Book of Kells on your brief visit Though I loved it, your timing might not work to be able to view it without standing in a massive line (particularly since you are traveling in summer). I would definitely see Kilmainham Gaol, walk around in the Temple Bar and Grafton St areas, and maybe walk down to Merrion Square to see the Georgian houses. There are pubs everywhere. You might also consider taking a hop-on, hop-off bus tour to get an overview of the city. The whole circuit takes about 90 minutes, and the red bus has live commentary (at least it did when I was there). The other bus has taped commentary, but either gives you a lot of information.

Posted by
117 posts

Thank you both for your responses!

Happy New Year!
Kristen