Please sign in to post.

One day in Dublin

Because of a change in our return flight from London to Philadelphia, we (husband and I) will have a 25 hour layover in Dublin rather than the original 2 hour layover. We will arrive in Dublin at about 11 am on 7/16 and our flight out is at 1 pm on 7/17. I have never visited Dublin and am looking for ideas for a place to stay for one night and some things to do in our few hours there. We enjoy history, food, music, the outdoors and exploring neighborhoods. We do not enjoy shopping or very crowded spots. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Posted by
76 posts

The Harding Hotel is in a great location and is reasonably priced, as is the Jurys Inn Parnell Street.

Since you're not into crowds, I suggest staying away from Grafton Street and the Temple Bar areas. While it might be hard to believe, Glasnevin Cemetery is a fantastic place to visit (over one and a half MILLION people are buried there, including Michael Collins). Another great option would be a tour of Kilmainham Gaol (you have to order date/time specific tickets on line ahead of time, or you probably won't get in...unless you're very lucky). The Book of Kells and Library at Trinity College are cool to see, but can get very crowded....still, since you're into history, you'd probably enjoy it. If you want something a bit off-the-wall, at Whitefriar Street Church they have some of the remains of St. Valentine (including a small vile of his blood....supposedly).

-Russ

Posted by
1825 posts

I, too, recommend the Harding Hotel. It is easily reached via the airport bus. The stop is Christ Church. I would also recommend a visit here as well as a walk that includes Temple Bar and the Ha Penny bridge. I would visit the Temple Bar area before nightfall when it gets really crowded. Just walking around Dublin is a treat and I would spend my time doing just that.

Posted by
856 posts

If I had limited time in Dublin I would choose the tour of Killmainham Jail (you may need tickets in advance). Get a ticket for the HOHO bus and just get off at some stops that interest you or just ride the whole route and listen to the commentary. Just wandering around Temple Bar, St. Stephen's Green, and Grafton St. is interesting, but if you don't like crowds you may want to go to the natural history museum instead.

Posted by
130 posts

Our vote is for the Guinness Storehouse! It was interesting to see all the advertising used over the years. If you don't like Guinness ask them to add some Ribena to the draught.

Posted by
12172 posts

First of all, there are buses to get downtown and back to the airport. They're the easiest choice unless you have a lot of luggage, then a taxi may be your best option. I don't know if there are options for leaving bags at the airport? Since 9/11 that seems to be less of an option.

I'd probably stay downtown since your flight isn't early morning. In the morning you might wander through St. Stephens green/Trinity College or similar before catching a bus/taxi to the airport. Your customs and immigration is done at Dublin before boarding the plane, so you won't have to worry about that when you get home (can be a big time saver).

Places to visit depend completely on your interests. I'd suggest a guided walk downtown first (most go around 10 AM, too early for your arrival, check at the TI). The Irish have a way with words, listening to the guide is at least as interesting as the sights they show you.

My interests won't be the same as yours. Book of Kells is likely to be too long of line for your limited time. Other choices include: National Archaeology Museum, Dublin Castle, Kilmainham Goal, Dublinia/Christ Church, St. Patrick's, National Leprechaun Museum. I'm personally not interested in the Easter uprising sights (I prefer older history), a guided walk offers plenty on that. Guinness Factory would be my last choice - I'd rather just sip a pint at a cozy pub while conversing with locals.

In the evening, I'd also avoid the crowded, noisy Temple Bar area in favor of either a literary pub crawl, musical pub crawl or show at one of the two theaters (London quality at a fraction of the price).

Posted by
39 posts

Thank you all for your suggestions. We are leaning towards an historical walking tour at 3 on the day we arrive and then possibly a traditional musical pub tour for the evening. Our plan is to stay somewhere in the city rather than at the airport so that we can walk around in whatever time we have available. A pint or two in a cozy local pub also sounds great. I do understand we are visiting in the summer and there will be crowds, just not interested in being somewhere that is so crowded that we can't move.