Please sign in to post.

Northern Ireland summer 2024

My daughter and I are planning a trip to Belfast and Derry for July of 2024. We expect to spend approximately 2 weeks and want to spend some time (2 or 3 days) hiking the coast including the Giant’s Causeway. We think hiking would allow us to experience the area in a way that driving from place to place would not. I’m concerned about how rugged the terrain is and welcome comments from anyone with experience in the area. Please also share any ideas you have about guides or companies who could help us plan this adventure. Ideally, we will hike from point to point at a leisurely pace during the day and stay at an inn or B and B at night. Thanks for your suggestions.

Posted by
1450 posts

Google Maps satellite view shows the Giant's Causeway and the shore cliff path. PS It shows the National Trust Giant's Causeway Visitor Centre and other tourist accommodations.

Posted by
8397 posts

I've hiked the section from Giant's Causeway to Portrush and it was an exceptionally easy walk. Some walking along coastal headlands, some walking on the beach, and some walking next to the highway for a bit. You do get to see different perspectives on some of the sea stacks while hiking that you would never notice while driving. Dunluce Castle is on the way with this walk.

I think that I would just go ahead and establish a base and do daily walks of sections of the coast. You can easily return to your base by bus. We absolutely loved the Bayview Inn at Port Ballintrae. We walked from here to Giants Causeway and a bit beyond and back one day. The next day we walked to Portrush and then took the bus back.
https://bayviewhotelni.com/

The hotel is easily reached by public transport.

Posted by
59 posts

Yes as the previous poster said the hotel in Portballintrae is accessible by Public Transport
"Translink" is the public transport operator in Northern Ireland
(www.translink.co.uk)
they run all the trains and buses the best way to Get to Portballintrae is take the Train from Belfast to Coleraine (Londonderry Line)
and get off in Coleraine and go into the combined bus and train station and catch the 402 causeway coast rambler bus to Ballycastle this stops in Portballintrae
ticket wise i would purchase a Zone 4 I-link card this gives you unlimited travel anywhere in Northern Ireland for one day/one week/one month meaning you can zip around Northern Ireland on any bus or train
these can be bought at the train and bus stations at ticket offices
I am from Northern Ireland so feel free to ask questions
:)

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you both for your good suggestions. I’m a fan of public transportation over car rental any day. I’m particularly fond of the train. The hotel suggestion is also helpful given its proximity to the area we are planning to hike.