Please sign in to post.

Northern Ireland??

Have just about finished RS book and have qualms about Northern Ireland. Have not read much to peak my interest compared to the Republic. Am thinking about leaving it out altogether on our 22 days there. (June 2016). Antrim Coast (Portrush & Derry) are interesting reading. Any suggestions on this area ? I would otherwise put another day or 2 around Galway and the Aran Islands and cut back on our trip days. Any feed back on this avenue of thought would be appreciated. I have planned the rest of the trip from Dublin 3 nights-Trim 1 night -Glendough 1 night-Killkenny 2 nights-Kinsale2 nights-Kenmare(Ring of Kerry)2nights-Dingle (3 nights sight see and relax time) Cliffs of Moher & Burren (stay Doolin) 1 night- Galway-1 night ( could add more here for trip to Aran Islands) Total 16 days and the balance was going to be for Northern Ireland.

Posted by
135 posts

Hello Shelly

without any qualms, I would state that you should spend some touring time in Northern Ireland. If nothing else, there's enough of genuine interest in Belfast, Derry/Londonderry and the very picturesque northern coast (Dunluce Castle and others; Bushmills; Giants's Causeway) to easily fill at least two days, if not longer. And if you extend into Co. Donegal (in the Republic), there's more to see.

You didn't explain what sort of things might pique your interest either - some insights would help focus what you could do.

Posted by
19 posts

we went in 2013 and my wife questioned going into Northern Ireland
we went 3 days to Portrush and had a great time. people were very nice and the causeway. castle, bushmill and dark hedges were great. I would do it again tomorrow and should not be missed. just remember you need pounds in northern Ireland not euros.

Posted by
649 posts

Thank you Mark and krd7806, we will reconsider Portrush area. Since we will be driving and do NOT want to drive into Belfast do you know if you rent a car in Dublin, can you drop off at airport in Belfast? I suppose it will depend on the Car Rental Co. and if there is an extra fee?

Posted by
8648 posts

Was in Belfast in 97'. there was barbed wire, blockades and soldiers patrolling the streets. Was back last year to visit friends who work on the Game of Thrones. Completely different city!!! You'll be missing a nice city with lovely sites, not too mention, the Giants Causeway is one of the most unique places I've ever visited. In 97 we drove all over NI and knew what sentiments were when we entered towns. they either praised or vilified the Queen or the Pope in wall murals. saw none of that last year. Returning to Belfast this Fall. Your trip of course but I enjoy both NI and Eire.

Posted by
9363 posts

Yes, there will be a fee for renting a car in Dublin and dropping it in Belfast - they are in different countries.

Posted by
15576 posts

It's an easy train ride between Dublin and Belfast. I would encourage you to spend 2-3 days in Belfast and Derry. I was there last summer, very interesting and enjoyable. The hotel in Belfast offered Jameson as a condiment to the breakfast porridge (or just have a glassful :-) !! What's not to love if that's the way they start the day?

I loved Dublin. 3 nights doesn't sound like much to me. Recommend: archaeology museum (free and fascinating), Kilmainham Gaol (go early or they may run out of tickets), Dublinia, pub-crawling in Temple Bar (live music afternoons and evenings) and the Dublin Literary Pub Crawl (great evening tour).

Posted by
1 posts

I highly recommend Northern Ireland. Did you know that the North of Ireland is in the South! (Malin Head) For many years it has almost been invisible on the tourism map (a bit like Cuba). Really its a great place, put down for many years by adverse media attention. From Dublin Airport I suggest jumping on a bus to Belfast 1hr 50. Tour Belfast, use the Black Taxi tours, take a riverboat tour, see the titanic exhibition (the most expensive visitor exhibition ever built in Northern Ireland), stay the night in Belfast and pick up a car rental (recommended) the next day!, or simply enjoy a bus tour along the world famous Antrim Coast. Overnight in Portrush - NI's no 1 tourism resort with superb beaches and great hotels and restaurants. Wake up looking across to Scotland, walk on the beach, visit the oldest known settlement in the whole of Ireland (Mountsandel - Coleraine) Visit the Giants Causeway, Bushmills Distillery, Carrick-A-Rede Rope bridge, even Glenarrif waterfall, then the Dark Hedges. Overnight again Portrush (best spot and less stress on 2 nights). Suggest next day continuing anticlockwise around Ireland - visit Mussenden Temple, drive your rental car on a beach! Onwards to Derry, overnight there, take a walking tour of the historic city walls. Next day onwards to Donegal, aim to stay in beautiful Gweedore, that will allow time to take the northerly scenic route. From Gweedore, southwards to Donegal, stay a night, then onwards to Sligo (a night), Galway, The Burren, Limerick (or Lough Derg - its been a long day). Cork is about the most you'll stretch from Limerick in a sightseeing day. Then a day to Waterford. North then towards Dublin. Enjoy.....

Posted by
411 posts

We just returned from a Dublin/Northern Ireland trip in April. I have to say it was among the best trips of my life, and certainly one of the best trips I have had in Europe. The people, the landscape, the food, the history, the music, and the education were stellar. In Northern ireland, we visited Belfast and Derry (where I was tracing my roots) and we also crossed over into the gorgeous and little-traveled County Donegal. The Troubles are still very much alive. Our guides in Belfast and Derry had very raw emotions and it seemed as though the events of the 60s-90s had happened only yesterday, at least for their generation. Seeing the walls, the murals, the gates, and hearing the experiences of that time that still produce tears and hatred was a very emotional and sobering experience. Of course this is not all this is happening in these Northern cities. Belfast had a beautiful architectural historic district and the wonderful Titanic Museum. Derry had a very pretty setting, the Peace Bridge, the historic pathway of the Derry Walls, the fascinating Guild Hall, the Tower Museum, and great pubs and restaurants. Northern Ireland was a historical mosaic that I would not want to have missed.

Posted by
1639 posts

Northern Ireland is a great place to visit and would recommend Belfast, Omagh, the coast and the city on the Foyle. One thing you may need to be aware of in Summer is preparing for changes to your plans due to Marching Season. Though Marching Season is when Northern Ireland is at its most exotic both to the rest of Ireland and the rest of the UK.

Posted by
649 posts

Thank you all so much for your comments and insight as to what to see. Northern Ireland is back on the list, now just to work out some logistics to travel to Belfast. I think maybe train to Belfast after landing in Dublin. Back to Dublin and rent a car to travel around the Republic and then up to Portrush and by pass Belfast on the trip back to Dublin. Does this sound like a plan?

Posted by
1 posts

Spent 2 days in Belfast in Sept 2014. We went on the Belfast Citysightseeing Giants Causeway tour. It was a fantastic time with a great tour guide. we enjoyed it so much, we are going back to Ireland again this September, and will again make a 2 day stop in Belfast with our extended family so they can experience the amazing scenery and history N. Ireland has to offer. I would absolutely not skip Belfast- it's worth it.

Posted by
3 posts

We just returned to the states from Ireland. Absolutely fell in love with Northern Ireland. We stayed in Belfast and took a private Black Taxi day tour to the Causeway, Bushmill's, Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge, Portrush, etc. Well worth the money. Just remember that summertime is parade season in Belfast, and there could be some issues stemming from that. When we were there, our driver took us into the protestant and Catholic neighborhoods and gave us a great first person perspective on "the Troubles."

Posted by
2 posts

Hi guys.
First off, I live in the Republic so have no hidden motives in what I'll post.
I would absolutely recommend visiting Northern Ireland. Before the Euro weakened and made it so expensive myself and my wife were frequent visitors to Belfast, for us less than 2 hours drive. I would suggest, at a minimum, giving Belfast a day or two. The bus tour is interesting but if you want the insider view take the black taxi tour.
As the previous post suggested, the North coast is beautiful and if you're a golfer, well, you're spoiled for choice.

In short, if you're at the Northern end of the country e.g. Louth, perhaps visiting Newgrange or the Battle of the Boyne site, its only a two hour drive and could be done as a day trip !

The 12th of July is the Marching season finale. There can be some trouble but I wouldn't let that put you off. Hopefully the yobo's stay at home !

In short, GO !

Posted by
649 posts

Thank you all so much for your comments. I am certainly planning on Northern Ireland for at least 5 days. It is just the logistics
of car rentals versus trains. Can anyone verify if there is a train direct for Belfast to Portrush and from there we can hop a tour of the Giant Causeway and Bushmills??

Posted by
446 posts

We spent 3 days in NI in May on our 15 day driving tour. We stayed at Ard na Breatha in Donegal town and reserved dinner in their restaurant. I would highly recommend it if you are there. County Donegal was very scenic and rugged. The Slieve League Cliffs were nice and we saw a great stone circle near Raphoe and a really interesting dolmen in Ardara. Could easily have spent another day there. We only spent an evening and slept in Derry. The Antrim Coast was one of our favorite places on the whole trip. Definitely see Giants Causeway and Dunluce Castle was very nice. We stayed in Cushendun/Cushendall area at Glenn Eireann House. It was lovely and one of our favorite B&B's. The Glens of Antrim were pretty as was the drive south along the coast. We had wanted to do the Waterfall Walk in Glenariff Forest Park but were very disappointed that it was closed for construction. We only spent a few hours in Belfast and the driving wasn't that difficult. We were leaving at the end of the work day and it did get congested. Just find a car park and walk in the city center or take a HOHO bus if want to see more of the sights. You will find more than enough to do for 5 days in NI, especially if you enjoy spending time in cities. We never felt unsafe and we really enjoyed our time there. It really was no different than the Republic other than the speed limit signs and the currency. I would recommend keeping the car and driving since you can see so much more that way. Get a good map to use along with a GPS unit.

Posted by
1265 posts

I'll also put my .02 in for going to Northern Ireland. We spent 3 nights there in May 2012. Belfast is a great city. If you go take the City Hall tour. The Antrim Coast, Giants Causeway and Dunluce Castle were very nice.