Please sign in to post.

Northern Ireland

I am curious about the travels in Northern Ireland but I don't see it listed as a country. I also did not see anything posted for leaving the EU since Ireland is an EU country and Northern Ireland is a British country.

Posted by
16893 posts

Rick's guidebooks and the Explore Europe and Travel Forum on this site all discuss Nothern Ireland together with the Republic of Ireland. It's a relatively small island.

There is no border control when crossing between countries. This would also more often be dependent on membership in the Schengen Visa Agreement (which neither are) than membership in the EU, which both currently are.

Posted by
61 posts

Northern Ireland is considered EU, via its status as part of Great Britian currently. The uncertainly about GB/EU relations is in a state of flux with Brexit, but since GB had not yet given the official notice to the EU about withdrawal there is not currently any border control/checkpoints between the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland. Its currently under advisement and research between Ireland and NI since nobody really wants a return to the former border setup.

As for travel, you can either fly in and out of Dublin or Shannon from the US - Virgin I believe just opened a direct to Dublin from Sky Harbor, or fly into London Heathrow (ugh) or Gatwich and then catch a puddle jumper local to either Belfast or Dublin. There is also a delightful rail/sail option where you fly to London and take a train to either west Scotland or west Wales and take a ferry to either NI or Ireland, respectively.

My family is from NI, and I travel there on average about every 2 years. I should have some trip reports and other comments in the forums, if you search for my handle, they should come up for more details.

A few things to consider - Ireland uses Euro's, NI uses pound sterling like the rest of GB. You will need euro's for toll roads if traveling by rented car between Belfast and Dublin. Having coins will make it easier.

Power is the same in NI as well as the rest of GB. A good multi adapter kit would work for most anything you would want to use.

If you rent a car, best to do it at the airport and specify in ADVANCE that you want an automatic when you make the booking. Also, depending on time of year, you might also want to ask for an air conditioner. Not all rentals have either of these two options, but by asking up front you can avoid frustration. I realize that Chandler is much warmer and you would laugh at the numbers, but it is condierably more humid and you can be surprised how quickly a desert rattler can become waterlogged. :)

Best of luck in your researches, there is a ton of stuff in NI to see and do.

Cheers,

Glenn
Marana, AZ

Posted by
2512 posts

Northern Ireland isn't part of Great Britain - it's part of the United Kingdom as in the full name of the country - the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

You may think it's a minor point but some people can take great issue over the definition.