Please sign in to post.

Need help with Ireland Itinerary

Hello! From east cost U.S. and planning a trip to Ireland (with a weekend in London) 3/20/17 - 3/30/17. We need help with our itinerary.

• Arriving into Dublin around 11 AM on 3/20. Renting a car.
  • Explore southwestern Ireland before leaving for London on 3/24. Thinking about dropping the car off and flying one way from Shannon to London that Friday?
  • Return to Dublin from London AM of 3/28.
  • Depart Dublin for U.S. AM of 3/30.

We would greatly appreciate some advice on the itinerary and towns to stay in for first leg of the Ireland trip and the 1 1/2 in Dublin when we get back from London. Interested in seeing some castles, cliffs, scapes; experiencing the food and culture, etc. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you! Alan

Posted by
8147 posts

Check TripMasters.com for their fly and drive itineraries of Ireland. Their prices are very good, and they're a very large player in the Irish travel market. They can also handle custom itineraries to the U.K. and Scotland too.

Posted by
3122 posts

You have a pretty short time, and since you want to see the southwest I would say head out in that direction on your first day (allowing for jet lag and adjusting to driving on the left, of course).

You could probably drive to Cashel the first day and continue southwest from there the next morning. Time constraints may require you to choose between Ring of Kerry and Dingle peninsula instead of both. Flying Shannon-London makes good sense.

On your 2nd leg you have about 48 hours in Dublin, enough time to see top sights. Consult the RS guide to Ireland to set your priorities and check what's open during which hours on the dates you will be there.

Posted by
1172 posts

Any chance you can change your flights so that you are flying in to Shannon on the 20th? From there you could do the cliffs, Galway, Killarney, Dingle etc.
Then fly into Dublin and do Dublin on the 28th and 29th?

Posted by
2 posts

I purchased our nonrefundable tickets to Dublin months ago during a sale. $330 RT from D.C.! I bought them fast, and figured at that price, we'd figure it out the itinerary later! So far, I have us getting into Dublin that Monday, spending the day and that night in Kilkenny, driving to Kenmare on Tuesday...still don't know about Wed and Thurs. Any ideas on my plans so far? I really appreciate all the advice!