Please sign in to post.

Need advice for Ireland 2019

Hi all. This summer I'm taking a group of college students to Ireland to study the history of the conflicts and current peacekeeping work. We were booked with a study center, but unfortunately our host/guide is now very ill, and he has cancelled all upcoming trips. I have a group of 20. Anyone have suggestions for a place to stay (dorm style is fine, but cottages, etc. would be fine too) that isn't horribly expensive, and a guide who knows Irish history?
Thanks in advance for suggestions!
Jill

Posted by
8369 posts

I would add a bit more detail. What are your specific dates? How many days in each location?

Posted by
8369 posts

Look at youth hostels. Belfast is looking about 18 pounds a night for dorm accommodations.

Posted by
771 posts

Could you ask the guide or study center to suggest another guide?

The Rick Steves Ireland book would list many guides for day trips. Perhaps if you contacted some them and explained what you are looking for, they might have some leads.

I don't know if the RS office could help you with leads, or not.

Good luck!

Posted by
3122 posts

The walking tour of Dublin that goes out of Trinity College may have some suggestions. (Note this is not the official campus tour -- it is a tour of Dublin.) When we took this tour, our guide spoke quite a lot about the history of conflicts -- current peacekeeping, probably not a much, but if tourgoers had asked he probably would have.

I believe this is the tour we took: Historical Walking Tours of Dublin https://historicaltours.ie/contact/