Please sign in to post.

Money conversion

We are visiting Ireland in mid-May. This will be my and my husband's first trip. I have received conflicting advice regarding money exchange. RS guidebook states emphatically to exchange at an ATM at the airport - not to bother with exchanging before the trip because of poor exchange rates here. On the other hand, a friend advised exchanging before the trip. My question: Is there anyone here who has traveled to Ireland recently and used the ATMs at the airport...what exchange rate did you get? I know this can change daily or more often. As of today (4/26/19) the bank-to-bank rate was quoted as, roughly, 1EUR=1.12USD. My bank will convert at a rate of 1EUR=1.17USD, giving them an earning of 6 cents on the dollar. I would have no other fees as I am a "Preferred Customer". I am wanting to be wise and frugal...is the Dublin airport ATM rate so much better? Can anyone inform me as to what it might be? Honestly, I tend to like the thought that I can convert before the trip, and arrive in Dublin ready to go, I fear it will be stressful enough just getting oriented as this is our first ever trip of this kind! I am inexperienced, but my initial thinking is that 6 cents over the cost to the bank for the conversion does not sound bad.

Posted by
11507 posts

We do in Ireland as we do in any of the europeon countries we’ve been to ( about a dozen ) - we arrive with about 100 euros from our bank at home - exactly so we don’t have to deal with airport atms !!

Once we have checked into our hotel we go find an ATM attached to a bank and use that .

No way would we go to Europe with a pile of cash from home !!!

Posted by
9 posts

So, Pat, It sounds like you feel the conversion rates are reasonable enough. Should we be able to find an ATM in Kenmare, Dingle or Doolin that has an exchange rate comparable to my bank?

Posted by
5326 posts

Warning that the Republic of Ireland is the birthplace and spiritual home of Direct Currency Conversion (DCC) where an ATM or merchant will offer to charge in your home currency, at their rate. Always decline this unkind offer

Posted by
20103 posts

Should we be able to find an ATM in Kenmare, Dingle or Doolin that has an exchange rate comparable to my bank?

As long as you specify that you want to be charged in EUR, you will receive the best exchange rate available at that instant plus a very small percentage, like 0.1%. That is because your small pittance of 100 EUR withdrawal will be part of millions being traded at that instant. In the last 24 hours, the rate has varied between 1.1132 and 1.1176 USD per EUR. On top of that, there is about a 0.9% network fee. So if at the instant you withdraw 100 EUR at a given ATM and the instantaneous rate was 1.1150, your bank account would be charged about $112.65. Now if your bank charges the customary 3% foreign currency conversion fee, that is another $3.33 on top of that. If your bank charges "out of network" ATM fees, that could be another $2 or $3. The point is that it is to your advantage to have a bank account that does not charge these extra fees. Many do not, but they are not the, as Clark Howard would say, monster mega banks, (Bank of America, Chase, Wells Fargo, etc).

If you accept to be charged in USD, the aforementioned Dynamic Currency Conversion, the ATM might offer to charge your bank $115, and you would still have the 3% fee and your bank's ATM fee tacked on. The owner of the ATM gets to pocket a couple extra EUR.

I always use ATM's, as I do not want to be walking around Ireland with 1000 EUR on vacation. I just get cash from an ATM when I need it, like I do here. My bank does not charge these extra fees.

Posted by
8447 posts

I interpret RS's advice to be that if you have none in hand get some from an airport ATM, since you might need some immediately -taxi, bus, train, coffee, pay toilet, water bottle, etc. But otherwise get cash from a safe bank-owned ATM in the city. Rates and fees are likely to be lower in the city because airport ATMs have to pay rent to the airport for that space + earn a profit. Its a waste of precious vacation time and energy to keep chasing the lowest cost ATMs. Do what's convenient.

Posted by
265 posts

Agree. Like most (not relevant on 1st trip) I always keep 100-150 Euros at the end of a trip, that way I have ready cash if needed upon arrival. Also see no issue with getting cash from Airport ATMs. There is in my experience always a BANK ATM (usually more than one) located in the arrivals area of a major airport. The convenience of obtaining cash there FAR outweighs the possible charges of a few more dollars for the convenience. Yes I would avoid the independent ATM (they are pretty obvious) like the plague for a number of reasons except in absolute emergency. Preferred choice is an ATM located at an open bank (in case the machine uses your card as a snack - always have a backup) but not always possible depending upon day/time of arrival.

We walked the main drag of Brussels a couple of years ago and tried three major bank ATM's before finding one that would accept my Debit Card for cash on the first day. Not a real issue as I had my cash reserve, and can use charge card for almost everything. Just need to be prepared (hard for first trip - I know) and flexible. Agree do not carry a pile of Euros from the US, again for multiple reasons. I am old school, I do have $500 US stashed with my passport, been traveling to Europe for 8-10 days a year since 1999, have never touched those bills.

All of us travelers spend a great deal of money on these trips. Being economical is desirable, but spending $5 on an airport ATM service charge or 50 Euro for a cab rental to or from the airport is often an overwhelming convenience and stress reducer. This is also true of getting a couple of hundred Euros from your local bank pre-departure if it makes you more comfortable. The small premium you are paying for the convenience (this is society that pays people to deliver restaurant food now!) is inconsequential in the total trip expense, and might remove one source of anxiety from your first trip.

Perhaps see you in Ireland, have 21 days scheduled (first time nearly this long a trip) to Norway and Ireland about the same time!!

Posted by
1056 posts

Rwinnerm, just a reminder. If your travel includes a trip to Northern Ireland, remember that they use pounds sterling, not the euro. This means two things for you — 1) Remember to change some money when you cross the border and 2) Don’t forget to remind your home bank that you may be using your ATM and credit cards in Ireland AND Northern Ireland, or your cards will be declined once you cross the border.

Have a great trip. Ireland is a lovely country and the Irish are friendly and welcoming people.

Posted by
4844 posts

We prefer to arrive with at least a hundred or so Euro in hand. It is so much more convenient to not have to mess with getting it first thing upon arrival. That alone makes it worth a little added cost. And the added cost in miniscule compared to the overall cost of the entire trip.

Posted by
2 posts

Get a couple hundred euros from you bank - try to get the smallest bills possible- so you won't need to hassle with the ATM at the airport. Then after you get to your hotel, and hopefully rest a little, you can venture out to find an ATM for "practice." Try to relax and enjoy your trip!

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you, all for your experienced advice. I will go ahead and get some have on hand upon arrival. Some of our B&Bs require cash paid directly to them so I need to account for that. Other than that, we will use the ATM. We do have a Travel Rewards Visa credit card for use anywhere that will accept that. Then we can save the cash for smaller Mom-and-Pop establishments. Getting excited..just over two weeks away!

Posted by
8293 posts

OP Am I to understand that you will use your Visa credit card to get cash from an ATM? Please do not do that.

Posted by
9 posts

Oh, no Norma! I have a Visa debit card for ATM as needed. I have the Travel rewards credit card for car rental, restaurants, or wherever they will take credit. This card will convert currency at the wholesale market rate at the time of purchase, has no other fees, 0% interest, and I can earn other benefits, as well. Thanks, though!