Please sign in to post.

May Itinerary

We are planning on doing a 12 day self drive tour in May 2018 and I am looking for some input in regards to my itinerary loop- and not sure whether it would be better to go from Dublin to Kinsale first, or from Dublin to Galway to start. Also whether my itinerary seems do-able:

Day 1- Dublin (sight see Dublin)
Day 2- Dublin (take day trip to Bru na boinne)
Day 3- Drive to Kinsale (stop at Rock of Cashel and Jameson Distillery on way)- overnight in Kinsale
Day 4- Overnight again in Kinsale (explore nearby Cork & Cobh)
Day 5- Drive to Killarney National Park for Torc Waterfall & other sites
Continue on drive to Port Macgee via the Southern Route stopping at Sneem and other areas
overnight in Port Macgee
Day 6- Skellig Michael boat trip and then drive to Dingle- overnight in Dingle
Day 7- Explore Dingle- overnight again in Dingle
Day 8- Dingle to Tarbert Ferry and on to Cliffs of Moher
Drive to Doolin and overnight in Doolin
Day 9- Drive to Galway- sites and overnight
Day 10- Take trip to Aran Island (overnight again in Galway)
Day 11- Drive to Connemarra National Park (overnight again in Galway)
Day 12- Drive from Galway to Dublin- drop off car
Day 13- Home

Not sure if I should do this in reverse- or if this is too ambitious of an itinerary-
Basicially it will be 2 nights Dublin, 2 Nights Kinsale, 1 night Port Macgee, 2 nights Dingle, 1 night Doolin, 3 nights Galway, and 1 night Dublin.

Any help or input is greatly appreciated!!
Amy

Posted by
3122 posts

I see no one has answered yet, so I'll give you a bump up. It looks ambitious but not crazy, IMO. Personally I don't know any reason why it would be better to do it in reverse, but others with more experience might.

You're wise to have mostly 2-night stays. Just be flexible and prioritize, don't stress if you don't end up seeing everything on your list.

In a 2-week trip you'll reach a point where you need to stop touring and do laundry and other mundane tasks. You might find time for this during your stay in Dingle and/or Galway.

Posted by
459 posts

hey Amy let me add a suggestion tht worked well for me on my late April early May trip to Ireland. My wife and I did self drive, with me being the only driver. We did a similar trip to the Scottish highlands and the Isle of Skye. We enjoy the freedom of self drive. That being said we hired two private tours while down in Dingle and over in Kenmare on the Ring of Kerry. A full day tour with Paul Brown for the Ring of Kerry, the best decision I made while in Ireland! I was able to relax, view the scenery, and listen to Paul's great description of the area and stories of the isles. It is not a cheap day, but if you are doing all of the driving for your two weeks, I would suggest a break, not from sight seeing, but from driving and trying to soak in the wonderful countryside!!! Consider a private tour during your trip...Paul for the Ring of Kerry or Berea...http://www.kenmaretaxitours.com/home.html. We also did a 4 hour private tour of the Dingle Peninsula and Slea Head with Denis Ryan, a great tour as well...I would highly recommend Paul or Denis for a break and good traveling. We loved west Ireland!

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you everyone for your ideas and input!!! Very much appreciated!! It can be very overwhelming planning a trip like this (but in a good way) and getting others ideas and suggestions is great!

I actually added another day to this trip so we will be there 13 days instead. This will give us a little more time. I also do really like the idea of hiring a driver for the Ring of Kerry loop- makes sense.

Thanks again!