Please sign in to post.

May Day in Dublin Area

Hi Everyone
We have nearly committed one of the cardinal sins of traveling, which is that we did not consult Ricks Holiday schedule earlier. We had forgotten that May Day (2 May) is a BIG deal overseas. Our question is, just how big. We had trouble getting reservations for the night of 2 May, the night prior to our departure (Dublin). Is this an all weekend thing? We'll be coming down from Portrush. We also need a place around Portrush @ $100 or less a night. Suggestions?
Thanks
Bill and Carole

Posted by
317 posts

Greeting from Ireland. Ive lived in Ireland all my live (40 years so far) and have never once celebrated MayDay or seen any May-Day celebrations bigger than 20 people. So have no fear of that actual day interrupting your travel plans in Ireland.
It is a public holiday (bank holiday) on the Monday so there will definitely be a lot of people on the move.
I just looked on hotels.com and there is a lot of hotels available in Dublin at normal prices.
In portrush try the Adelphi or I also like the Ramada next door, Ive stayed n both probably 100 times!
Slainte/Good health
Stephen McPhilemy
Rick steves Ireland Tour-Guide