Please sign in to post.

Layover in Dublin

I know this question has been asked in various forms, but I haven't found quite the answer I need. On my return flight from Rome to Omaha, I have two layovers one in Dublin and then Chicago. My layover in Dublin is two hours, is that enough time?

Posted by
20143 posts

Good question. You will clear US customs and immigration at Dublin airport. We did this last year going from Duesseldorf, but spent the night at Dublin airport hotel. When we checked our bags at the Aer Lingus desk at Duesseldorf, the agent gave us the option of checking our bags to Dublin or Chicago OR a mix. We checked one to Chicago and one to Dublin for our overnight. We cleared customs and immigration, including turning in that little customs declaration form at Dublin. When we arrived at Chicago International terminal, we exited the plane into the boarding area like a domestic flight, then took the escalator down to the luggage carousels and got our bags, then exited out the "Nothing to Declare" door.

In your case, I am guessing that you can check the bags to your home airport, but will need to collect them at Chicago, then pass through the "Nothing to Declare" door, then put them on the luggage transfer belt for the flight home. So you will go through US C&I while changing planes in Dublin. 2 hours seems OK to do this.

When you get to Chicago, after you have rechecked your bags, you will need to take the skytrain to your new domestic terminal and go through security again. So 2 hours should be safe there.

My memory is a bit fuzzy here. I am thinking we must have turned in the customs cards when we exited the luggage carousel area. After an 8 hour flight, I was just glad to have that over with.

Posted by
15 posts

Thank you Sam. It seemed 2 hours would be enough, but I thought I would ask to make sure. I appreciate your response.